1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura 3.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by GriZag, Nov 17, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, Robo has released their source and it is 99% generic Marlin :) ()Marlin 1.0.x for the R1/R1+ and Marlin 1.1.x for the R2/C2)
    It is linked from their main website, they keep changing where exactly, but if you poke around you can see it. Looks like they are now using github (which is a plus) so they will hopefully always all be there.

https://github.com/Robo3D/

R2/C2 versions under Marlin and R1 versions under R1PlusMarlin

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The community has also contributed newer versions of Marlin for all the Robo printers. the current release is 1.1.9. To be specific, the R1 series is still based on 1.0.0 and the R2/C2 use Marlin 1.1.6. In both cases the Community implementation of Marlin is better and removes some quirky code Robo tried to implement.

supercazzola likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:cool:

4. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

So is it the Marlin community or Robo who hasn't implemented the "dual print feature"?...or am I all wet?
    If, indeed, the dual print is already supported by Marlin for Robo, are we just not yet getting the hardware parts together to implement the feature in the R2 platform? Anyone know where the feature is "stuck in the pipe"?
    If it's just a matter of them not supporting it...and the code/hardware is available, I'm willing to work with that. I really just want to use the extra nozzle to print a "dissolvable" support structure (or, at least a different color)...to make it easier to part the part...
    If anyone KNOWS the status, please enlighten me.
    Thanks.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Robo :)
    Marlin supports dual extruder and I have a thread in the C2 section where I modified the C2 to be dual extrusion.
    The parts on the extruder carriage are identical for the C2/R2 so much of that would be the same (I suspect yours is already wired internally for a second extruder, my C2 was not which meant a little more effort)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The feature is stuck because unless a printer is designed around it multiple extruders is difficult to model for and the software has to be smarter than MatterControl (my personal opinion) to get it to print correctly. In a single extruder printer you load one STL for the print. In multiple extruder you (normally) load multiple STLs one for each extruder :) [Some printers do it differently and some options like the Pallete have their own slicers] I suspect Robo figured that few people would actually use multiple extrusion and so they eventually shelved it (or put it on a far back burner)

@Geof can explain this better as he even has a Sigma (one of the few machines out there that does multiple extrusion correctly in my book)

7. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

I have no problem wiring my R2, if necessary, for the second extruder...including installing (or building) any hardware for the mechanical requirements. However, I wanted to use the second extruder, mainly, for use in the support and attach functions like raft, skirt, supports both to the "build plate" and "everywhere". i am hoping the slicers (Slicer3D or Cura or Simply3D) would support this or something similar.
    Am I anywhere near to being correct?

Thanks.

8. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

Ok. I am extremely appreciative on the answers you all have given me for my, probably repeated, questions on slicers, firmware, etc. for the R2.
    My next question:
    Is there a document, schematic, or spec sheet that defines what pins on the control board are supported by unique "M" codes in the R2 g-code generated by the various slicers.
    One of the first addtions I plan to make is the addition of LEDs in the build area so I don't have to leave a room light on when printing overnight and want to capture the time-lapse video of the build.
    It seems obvious that I can use g-code at the beginning and ending of the model g-code to turn the leds on/off as most slicers provide for this. However, I might want to write a "g-code" processor or post processor that modifies the slicer g-code for a build to add specific "M" functions to be executed during the build phase (in the middle of the g-code).
    It would be nice if a doc, schematic, or spec sheet existed for us to build special functions in the R2.
    Any good news here?

Thank you in advance.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

can't speak fir Slic3r or Cura, but Simplify3D does and I am sure the others do too.

To the best of my knowledge there is zero documentation on the custom control board Robo uses. It is not super hard to decipher, but they don't document it.

Probably won't put your eye out messing with it ;)

Nobody (yet) has taken the time to desconstruct the R2 and document it. I did document the second extruder on the C2, but I didn't delve into the board much to see what everything maps to -- project for someone :)

(my dual extruder thread here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/dual-extrusion-mod-for-c2.17686/)

ytilotia likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Robo never published the pinouts on their proprietary Ramps/Arduino combination board for the R2/C2. I think the mainboards are identical for both models. I used to have the logic diagrams for the R2 mainboard but those are gone with the latest refresh of my main PC.

If you really need dual extrusion, please look at @mark tomlinson's thread on his C2 conversion. It can be done but is not trivial. And I would also start with the community version of Marlin and add the appropriate configuration items to it as 1.1.9 of Marlin is much cleaner than 1.1.6 that Robo appears stuck on.

11. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

Is it too much to ask where I could obtain logic diagrams for the boards, purely as a reference and not to reverse engineer them? Matched with the firmware source, I can figure out a I/O map to document the pinouts and functions. I would take on the project if I can have something to work with.

I am looking into @mark tomlinson 's thread on the C2 conversion. I don't see any major hurdles using some of his work to add a second extruder on my R2, especially since the space seems to be there for the hardware already.

I know this thread has gotten off topic but the info I am getting from @WheresWaldo and @mark tomlinson is invaluable for my learning curve on this machine.

Thanks for the info.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Sorry I no longer have them and I think I got them from Robo support. But as far as I know they were never released to the public. Robo tries to be very secretive about what goes in their machines even though most of it uses Open Source components (software and hardware) I have asked for the RoboOS source on several occasions just to be ignored, perhaps hoping I would stop asking. The only reason we know where the current source code exists, is because we have examined the code and update locations that are stored on the RaspberryPi image.

13. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

That's too bad that they are lost. Even just the I/O pinout (though I can dig around and determine much of it) would help.
    Oh, well, I'll start looking into it soon as I would really like to take on the Dual Extruder option for the R2.
    As always, thanks for the info.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you complete this project please document what you did and start a thread here so others may benefit also.

15. ytilotia

ytilotia New Member

That's my intent...to contribute as much as possible.