1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Printer not printing/extruding smooth layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KCOQUILLARD, Jan 1, 2019.

1. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

Had to pack up the printer while I moved houses, was printing fine before the move. Once the move was complete unpacked everything and tried to resuming printing. Seems there is a little something off and I can't figure it out. Looking for some help if possible.

While printing the extruding seems to stop and "shake" before the smooth extruding continues. I have tried both a made print and 20x20x20 block and nothing seems to be printing correctly.

I tried uploading a video but could not get it uploaded. If someone could help with that I can get one up if that helps.

VIDEO

IMG_6314.JPG IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6316.JPG IMG_6314.JPG IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6316.JPG

#1 KCOQUILLARD, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like the machine is moving correctly, have you seasoned the extruded? Looks under extruded

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Under extrusion or micro-clogging would be my guesses, @Geof has the same idea I had.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make that a +3 for seasoning the hotend.

Geof likes this.
  5. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

Thanks to all. I will have to try it and see what happens. However can some one explain the seasoning to me?

I have read the thread :
    PLEASE READ - Hotend Jam/Clogs? - Seasoning and an Oiler
    and I'm still a little confused. To season the hotend do i just add oil to the filament and run it through or do I apply it directly to the hot end somehow?

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It is basically the same as seasoning a cast iron skillet, but easier. get some high smoke point oil and put some on a paper towel, wipe the end of the filament before inserting it into the hotend. With the light coating of oil when it hits the hot nozzle it will dry and coat the inside of the nozzle making it slicker and help prevent clogs. Some people will print an oiler, there are many on Thingiverse.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What he said :)
    Do it a few times to insure you have a good layer inside the nozzle.

Geof likes this.
  8. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

Tried the seasoning and was able to print a 20x20x20 cube that came out good. Thought the problem might have been solved. Tried to print the project I started before the problems came and went back to having the same problems.

Did the seasoning again and again and still not able to print the item I started. So I switched filament from eSun to hatchbox and still the same problem. Thought it might have something to do with the model so I switch models.

Continue to see the same problem even with a different model printing. Seems to be less occurring but still exist. Do I continue to season the hot end?

IMG_6319.JPG IMG_6320.JPG

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What temp are you printing at? It’s possible you need to change your nozzle, it may be damaged

10. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

I have tried 190, 200 and 210
    Would it just be changing the hot end or the whole extruder? I'm assuming you can get something from amazon?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

12. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

Is that the same hot end that come with the Robo printer extruder? I haven;t upgraded anything. Would now be a good time to upgrade the entire thing? Is it as easy as buying an "upgraded" one and replacing it? No new coding or anything? real beginner with changing parts.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The hot end is the entire assembly. The nozzle is just one part of it. If you want a drop in replacement I suggest getting it from Robo then you can take apart the one you have to do some learning :) Robo is the only one with exact fit direct drop in due to the connectors and such

14. KCOQUILLARD

KCOQUILLARD New Member

Of coarse I just looked and Robo is sold out of everything it would seem that I need. If I but just the nozzle from the amazon link you posted with it work with the hotend I have?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Hexagon uses standard E3D compatible nozzles. Just don't get MakerBot nozzles :) Those are different.

Geof likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Also increase the tension on the Greg's Wade Extruder. On 1.75 filament you need a fairly high tension pushing the filament against the hobbed bolt to get smooth flow. It is just the nature of the beast.

Geof likes this.
  17. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

I don't know if you solved your problem. But when I've had that clicking on my robo for the exturder, it was actually a lose wire at the stepper motor. The moving of the X and Y would cause it to go in and out of good a good connection. Ended up replacing the whole wire back to the mother board.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.