1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrade your Robo R2 to a capacitive 5 inch touch screen (Completed)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 1, 2018.

1. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

I have no doubt there is worse :) I am pretty sure I know what we will be going with as an alternative. I have about until mid December to decide.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you have questions about a brand feel free to post-em, between everybody a lot of them have been used :)

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've always been pretty happy with the warranty support I get from Robo (yes even before being a volunteer on the forum). The community(here on the forum) is what drove me to buying my first R1 series. As far as other OEMs go ... yea... lol. Not so great on many of them. Some around the same. Whats really funny is price isn't the driving factor in support. I have 3k machines with great support, 3k machines with poor support 400.00 machines with none and the R1+ is now 400 and has decent. Its crazy :D

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  4. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Here is some more info on this topic for those who are having issues with the touchscreen or want to upgrade the junk ROBO sells as the don't honor their warranty and we're left to fend for ourselves.

https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/kivy/master/kivy.pdf

5. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So, what happened to the photos? I'm very interested in doing this for my R2, but I would like to see some pics if you have them :)

6. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

They are on the bottom of page 1 I think.. if not I can look through my google photos for you. I actually found another screen which I purchased that has the hdmi / usb ports in a slightly different place. I think this would be more suitable. Will try and find where I put it

7. adikted2astro

That's where I looked for them, but they aren't there for some reason. There are places for the pictures, but they seem to be missing.

I would most DEFINITELY like to see the model you bought because the only screens I can find have side-mounted HDMI/USB ports. I can easily see myself screwing that up. So, if you found a better model........ :)

8. adikted2astro

I am going to do this capacitive screen upgrade because my resistive screen (2nd one actually), never works. It's honestly only there for show. But I want the option. And I most definitely NEVER use the USB port on the front; I haven't since the first test print when I bought it. I understand why they have it there, but it's unnecessary imo.

Anyways, besides the screen, new HDMI cable, and spacers, is there any other hardware I should get? I'm confident of my mechanical ability to do this, but the software manipulation is going to take some time for me. However, it doesn't seem too difficult.

EDIT: Both of the resistive touch screens I have are Waveshare screens. But neither one has ever worked properly. I assume from the posts that the reason is systematic (the way it is mounted and used on the R2) and not poor quality?

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. adikted2astro

Well I saw that one but decided to buy direct from Waveshare. The shipping estimate for the Amazon one is between Feb. 5 and Feb. 27, so if it's going to take that long, I might as well go straight to the source.

It was $52 on their website, $5 shipping.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep, I have purchased direct from Waveshare also. In my personal experience, they are reputable.

12. adikted2astro

I am finally able to replace my screen, but I have a question for you guys.

So, the ribbon cable that attaches to the Pi and the old resistive touch screen has a red and black wire attached to it that looks like it runs all the way up to the extruder. Now that I won't be using the ribbon cable, what do I do with those wires?

13. adikted2astro

Ummmm.....got another problem. I've connected the touchscreen, downloaded Putty and performed the necessary commands. Everything went smoothly and rebooted. But, the touch screen will not work at all. I've triple-checked everything and I cannot find a fault in my process.

The only thing I can think of is my firmware. I am using unified bed leveling and I downloaded the arduino code a while ago and I just updated it before starting this. But there were no problems. This may seem like a stupid question, but does the baud rate have anything to do with it? It was changed to 250000. Also, there are two micro usb ports on the screen; one for the touch screen and one that I assume is for DC power. The screen turns on just fine, but the only micro usb plugged in is the one next to the HDMI port. I'm very confused at this point and I don't want to install the screen permanently until it works properly. Here are some pics, just in case.

p.s. I have also tried two different micro usb cables, 2 HDMI cables, and I've switched USB ports on the Pi.
    myscreen.jpg putty.PNG

#53 adikted2astro, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@adikted2astro You need to make sure that you have edited /boot/config.txt as mentioned in post 1. besides the changes to kivy config.ini

The red / black wire pair is for the filament out sensor, I spliced in a two pin header and then plugged them back into the rPi, or you can just disable to filament out in plugin in OctoPrint.

15. adikted2astro

Ok, I thought the edits on post 1 were only to turn the display around 180 degrees, which I didn't want to do. So I'll do it in kivy, like on post #4.

16. adikted2astro

That edit to the config.txt file worked, thank you.

17. adikted2astro

@WheresWaldo, Another question, sort of related. You stated in a previous post that you are going to use your own GIMP for startup instead of using the Robo logo. Would you mind explaining that a bit further? I have an image I'd love to use on there if possible. No hurry though, I've got a lot of work to do getting this thing back up and running.

BTW, for anyone reading through these posts that is looking to do this upgrade, I can tell you it is well, well worth the work. This display is 1000 times better than the resistive touch screen. Not only is it super responsive, it looks amazing. I am thoroughly impressed; a must-have.

You might have to buy the screen direct from Waveshare (https://www.waveshare.com/5inch-hdmi-lcd-h.htm). They ship from China and I did pay extra for expedited shipping, but it arrived in 5 days.

#57 adikted2astro, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  18. adikted2astro

Ok, I have installed the screen and it's working perfectly. I did have to do a couple small mods to make everything fit properly, but it all looks great. I will upload pics tomorrow and provide explanations.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I had to do it a completely different way than Robo did their boot up screen. If I recall they used some old method of putting up a display screen using an mjpeg. and I used Plymouth. I don't have any notes, because it was a ton of trials and failures before I got it to work. I have set that project completely aside for now working on other things, so I won't be much help. I think I have an image somewhere with a boot screen and a power off screen somewhere, but I don't know where I put it at the moment as I recently upgraded my Windows setup.

20. adikted2astro

That's fine, no worries. For some reason, the Robo boot screen doesn't work; it's just a blank screen with some lines of code (upside down), asking for a login. It honestly doesn't matter because after a few seconds, the printer screen comes up fine.