1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Belt Seems Loose

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DaveKerk, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Hey everyone!

Having an issue that has been blocking my use of this printer for a very long time. Used it perfectly fine for many months and through very large prints as well.
    The belt that connects the y-axis motor to the y-axis rod seems to be loose.
    This causes jumping and just absolutely destroys prints.

Here is a Google Drive link to a video. (Had to put a space in order to not get flagged, don't get mad at me please mods.)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Uikbymykt-YP09L0hXAqxdhqsUwLtwML?usp=sharing

Of course the x-axis shown first has absolutely no play in it when moving, but the y-axis belt has so much in it.
    Yes everything is loosened on that rod while I was trouble shooting but it's even worse when everything is tightened down.
    Help! This has been driving me nuts and it's been a lot of late nights to even narrow it down to this point and I think I'm stuck.

#1 DaveKerk, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is how you fix the loose belt. It is a tedious but not hard process and only requires a Philips head screwdriver.
    1. Remove the eight screws just under the top of the printer holding the top to the frame.
    2. Unplug all the stepper and endstop cables.
    3. Lift the entire top carriage assembly straight off the top of the printer, the gantry is attached and comes off in one piece.
    4. Loosen the four screws that hold the stepper motor in place, no need to remove them.
    5. Pull the stepper motor to increase the tension and retighten the four stepper mount screws.
    6. While you have the top off, check the X axis at the same time.
    7. Put the gantry assembly back in place.
    8. Replace the eight screws that hold the top on.
    9. Re-plugin the stepper and endstop cables.

That should be it

DaveKerk, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

I finally got some time to sit down and work on this for a while. I want to make a note about your quick guide. There are actually 10 screws I had to remove, two additional near the stepper motors.

Now onto why this is a much larger issue than either of us thought.

I got it apart and to my dismay I find a lot of fine grain particles, no idea what it is but it is all over the printer and down into the everything on that side and down behind the wire cover.

It appears as if the bearing (I'm calling it a bearing because that's what it looks like, if that's not what it is please correct me) to hold the y-axis rod on the motor side in place and allow it to rotate freely just disintegrated.

If you check the link I posted in the previous post you will find many pictures I thought should be included and a single short video describing my issue (in the 'Second Post' folder).

I can see and compare the bearings for the y-axis to each other and they are just entirely different. One has all of it's components and off sets the rod just fine so it's not loose, the other doesn't do this (as is shown in that video).

I believe the pieces are all there for the bearing but just apart. The inside ring is stuck on the rod and the other pieces fell out and I eventually discovered they're for the actual insides of the bearing (I believe).

Is there a possibility to get a new one of these bearings or anything like that? I don't feel like this is supposed to happen after about 6 months of moderate-heavy use or even ever! Anyone have any idea what may have happened to this bearing or if it's possible it'll happen to others?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The R2 should be using 8mm rods so those are likely LM8UU bearings.
    Measure the rods to be sure,. The C2 has 6mm rods (and LM6UU bearings).
    The original R1 was 8mm ....

@WheresWaldo can confirm the size

DaveKerk likes this.
  5. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Do you know where I can get the specific ones used in the construction of the R2? They seem a little of an odd one..

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pictures of exactly what you are looking for.
    If they are LM8UU they are common, but I don't have the R2 to look at. The C2 IS LM6UU :)

7. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Folder:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vWaEQo0z5UnFhUSgIuyXFu3UW-uP0MEg?usp=sharing
    Bearing:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16pUNx8ImzTZNwQ0Ka-VLbm1hQplqZ4IP/view?usp=sharing
    (Had to do the link thing again.. 3 posts have been made though)

Folder link is the folder with all of the pictures and the video, bearing link is just for one of the bearing pictures.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Geof might also be able to answer that for you.

9. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Ok, thank you. Just hoping I can get one soon.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That looks like the bearing that mounts to the side of the case where the rods go through. It is not an LM8UU at all. I am pretty sure it is 8mm (if the R2 rods go through it) but not that same one.

(fixed your links too)

11. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Thanks for the link fix.
    It is indeed that bearing.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't know the exact size of that bearing, all I know is that it is a flanged bearing. I know the ID is 8 mm and believe the OD is 12 mm

ID 8 mm x OD 12 mm would make them an MF128ZZ
    ID 8 mm x OD 14 mm would make them an MF148ZZ

#12 WheresWaldo, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo has ya covered. I havent had an issue with that bearing so havent had it out and sourced a replacement :(. What you can do is take it to somewhere like Fastenal/Motion Industries/etc that sells bearings and see if they can match it up for you. Can always measure the rod and the housing the bearing fits into and you've pretty well got it figured out :D

14. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

I'm looking into what you gave me and I can't seem to find a flanged one. Of either size, going to get exact sizes soon.

EDIT: I only have inch calipers and I measured approx. 8mm x 12mm. The flange is about 13.5mm
    Exact measurements:
    ID: .313 in. = 7.9502 mm
    OD: .464 in. = 11.7856 mm
    Flange: .534 in. = 13.5636 mm

Second EDIT: Height measured approx 3.6 mm
    .144 in. = 3.6576 mm

#14 DaveKerk, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019
  15. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Does anyone know if I can get one under warranty or something like that?

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You certainly should be able to. Email robo through the contact us form and there should be a "warranty form" somewhere too

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Hi everyone, just coming back to conclude the story. I was able to get a new set of bearings via Robo. After disassembling it and replacing the exploded bearing, I got it back together and did some tuning to get it back to printing properly and it's working just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.