1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printing stop mid print.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Feb 25, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

Something weird is happening. During a print using PETG 235 extruder 80 print bed. Its stoping mid print and I am getting this error message on my smart screen. It's happening about 20 min into the print..any ideas??[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. robert albrecht

I think I may need a new thermsistor and I am guessing since Robo no longer carries the hotend they prob do not carry the thermsistor any more.. What are my options??

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your best options is to replace the hotend with one that you can get parts for. There are generic versions of the hexagon available (search Amazon for "Reprapdiscount,Hexagon")

With the R1 style swapping to an E3D* is also quite easy (a new quick release plate can be printed for the R1+ -- the R1 works "as-is". Some vendors like our own @Printed Solid can provide the plate already printed for you on request (http://www.printedsolid.com)

In either of those cases you either will loose the quick-disconnects at the hotend or rewire those to the new hotends. Not a big extra effort.

The problem is that the version of the hexagon Robo uses has a specific cartridge thermistor that is not easy to source.

*do yourself a favor and DO NOT GET an E3D knock-off. Get a real E3D v6 from a reputable dealer

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

2nded. I swap to E3Ds, but I have heard some people having good luck with the hexagons from amazon. I have never used them.

5. robert albrecht

I went a head and ordered a E3DV6 off of Amazon. I double checked with the E3D website and the seller I purchased from is a Genuine E3D Reseller so I should have that on Wed. I am hoping I can squeeze out one more print. (the new quick release plate to replace the old one on my +.) I am very comfortable with soldering so I plan on wiring in the new wires with my current quick disconnects. The only thing I may need help doing is on the software side of things. Is there a step by step guide for updating the firm ware and changing the two required settings?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have issues someone on here can print you one and mail it to you (obviously faster to print your own -- we have 'mail' not 'teleporters') me @Geof or someone can certainly lend you a hand worst case though.

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

9. robert albrecht

Thanks for the help everybody. I know I have started several help needed threads over the last few days.(I guess it comes with the territory of owning a 3d printer). I am still pretty new to this,hopefully I will be the one giving the advise one day LOL

@Ditto I think I read that part about changing the new heat ranges and the thermistor type. Is there anything else I will need to change firmware side of the house? I saw a link about "calibrating" the new extruder? I am hoping I can be up and running this weekend. I have a big project I need to start printing for a cosplay I am working on...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is a quick summary of what you want to do in the firmware (required in BOLD, optional not):
    1) Change thermsitor type
    2) Possibly change max temperature (not essential, but you may want to -- it was more of a big deal when the robo had the old J-Head)
    3) PID tuning (optional, but a good idea)
    4) Extruder calibration (also optional, but suggested)

Geof and robert albrecht like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and a video on calibrating the extruder (which is easier than it sounds)

Geof and robert albrecht like this.
  12. robert albrecht

Well was able to coax one more print out of her. Printed in PETG. That should be fine right??[​IMG]

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Looks good.

14. robert albrecht

While I have a few people here. Let me ask what software should I be using? I am currently using Astroprint. The laptop I use is currently in my house and my printer is in the garage. So I like the remote usage. However I keep seeing people say that they have their fan going at certain speeds at certain levels. But I have not seen any options like that.. What is generally used?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OctoPrint, AstroPrint either is fine for remote printing like that (we use OctoPrint, but the differences are minor)

OctoPrint
    • Somewhat easy installation
    • Fully customizable and community run
    • Great for tech savy or program savy users
    • Barebone GUI (Interface)
    • Dynamic info tabbed in sections
    • Support by community
    • Buy your own gear
    • SBC vesrion only
    • Free OS
    AstroPrint
    • Extremly easy installation
    • Limited adjustabilty
    • Excellent choice for beginners
    • Full suite GUI with style
    • Dynamic info basic all-in-one screen
    • Support by staff
    • Buy pre-installed kits or your own gear
    • SBC, Desktop, cloud and Mobile App versions
    • Free OS
    So either is fine. We have cameras on all of ours for monitoring and I recently added TheSpaghettiDetective in ours (really cool).

16. robert albrecht

I am putting together my v6 and the thermistor is the tube type. Do I still have to change the type in the soft wear?[​IMG]

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the material the thermistor is actually made of is different and it has a different calibration curve.

18. robert albrecht

OK I am almost done. Now all I have left to do is update the firmware for the thermistor. I have looked over the guide. But I am still not sure what to do... Can anybody provide a detailed step by step?
    I am not sure what software to use and how to change it... etc.

#18 robert albrecht, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

20. robert albrecht

I have looked at the thread. The person who wrote it is assuming the reader knows how to to get into the arduino and change code. Or where to get the orignal.. coding. I have no idea how to do any of that.
    I need step by step hand holding.
    Down load this.
    Install
    Open this
    Etc. Etc. Etc..