1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The grandiose ideal of home 3D printing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wesley Knapp, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

The demise of many 3D printer upstarts over the past half-decade, forces me to ponder; How could the pervasive concept of home 3D printing for the masses have been so wrong?

I'm going to blame it on the iPhone. Hear me out...
    Apple succeeded in convincing everyone that they invented the "smartphone." They did not. I had been using a Windows Mobile phone for more than two years before the release of the first iPhone. This phone had a relatively large touch screen, a Micro SD card slot, Windows Mobile apps, MP3 player, stereo speakers, a built in 3MP camera, USB to PC connectivity and sync. Sound familiar?
    To me, the dumbing down of America came with the release of the iPhone. The masses soon adjusted to advanced technology that required no technical knowledge to operate. They accepted the fact that they could only use apps available through the manufacturer, they had no choice of OS, eventually not even having the choice of using wired headphones, etc.
    Now, in hindsight we can look at the introduction of the home 3D printer as a foray into the future. But the introduction was made to a new reality of polished, stylized tech that required little knowledge of how or why it worked. It just did
    As we all know, 3D printing to this day is still very much a technical skill with knowledge of it's inner workings essential to achieving an acceptable result.
    I surmise that until there comes a true plug-n-print offering - an "iPrinter3D," 3D printing for the masses will never become a reality.

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

Geof likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Wesley Knapp

Preaching to the choir.

Until the likes of Epson, HP, Brother, etc. join the 3D printer market it will always be a niche technology only easily accessible to technically savvy people, or those willing to learn. The idea of #D printer as an appliance is so far removed from the current reality as to be laughable. The issue is also exacerbated by the constant use of Facebook as a support medium.

But that is why places like this, I mean forums in general, not Robo3D specifically, exist. A place where some who have taken the time to educate themselves on the technology skillset required can share that knowledge. There is still a future for home 3D printing, but until the giants of the industry take an active interest refining firmware (even proprietary ones), streamlining the user interface, requiring proprietary filament spools, this will take a very long time to happen.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

FTFY :)

Some of them are in the 3D Printer arena, but not for home printers.

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ummm, perhaps. Tech grows incestuously upon itself. The more you have in an area the faster you get more. :)

We have not quite reached the point for 3D printers to be that simple or that cheap (getting close on the cheap part). I tend to think it is still a ways out, but if money can be made there... someone will figure it out.

Geof likes this.
  6. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

One would think with all of the entrants in the market over the years that somebody would have realized this and started from scratch when in reality it seems each picked a point or two to expand upon, ignoring all other issues and methods.

In my original post I was considering the idea that a home user would buy a model file from say Amazon, printing it instead of an actual item being shipped to the buyer. That was the promise and ideal of home 3D printing.

I'm also aware that the public has NO concept of the time it takes for the print to complete. Most have only seen time-lapse video and never sat for hours on end watching each layer laid while anticipating a failure at any moment.

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It goes beyond I have an STL and I must print

Modelling. You have to have that STL :)

It is a tech stack really and honestly beyond the average user. It is not and should not be as complicated as it IS ...

I suspect the end result is a 3D printer being like a regular printer where I can go somewhere and "buy" the product and print it, largely hands-off

Some of them like a DLP for example can print quite quickly since you are rendering a layer at a time (and each layer may take 10-20 seconds to expose, sometimes less)

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There was an initiative, I think since abandoned, at Lowes Home Improvement that would take a large catalog of discontinued or older parts and have 3D printers in-store, you could order the part and the same or next day pick up that throttle handle for that 10 year old Honda mower. I see that as something much more viable than the current state of home printing.

3D printers have taken over the Hollywood prop industry, so there are places where it just makes sense.

Geof likes this.
  9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I was reading about a newer DLP based 3D printer which uses the concept of polymerization threshold in a liquid media. It exposes the entire volume with low level light at 1 degree rotations (from the side using a DLP projection). When a 3d point gets sufficient illumination to exceed the threshold, then the liquid becomes solid. Otherwise it remains a liquid. This technique is similar to the gamma knife cancer treatment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosurgery#Gamma_Knife
    Once sufficient rotations and illuminations have been done, the 3D model is completely solid and one drains the liquid to extract the solid model.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now THAT is a sweet process :)

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member