1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Matter Control update

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wesley Knapp, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I use Matter Control 1.5 with my R1+ and when I check for updates in the app it says I have the latest installed, yet there are newer releases that can be downloaded at matterhackers.com. I downloaded the latest version from there. Upon install it wants to just overwrite what I have installed. So I gave it a different directory to install to.
    When I tried to run the new version it crashes due to an acception error.

So what's the deal with upgrading to the latest version? I would really like to upgrade to the new 2.0 since it is not only a slicer but now also includes design apps/tools.

Yes I know most of you use other slicers but I know this one well, it works for me and I already have all of my printer & material profiles configured nearly perfectly.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Smart move!

And you perfectly demonstrated why.

It is not just that it is free software, there are some decent free slicers out there. MC has just always been the low-bar. If it works, don;t mess with it (I.E. upgrade it) without a specific reason. If the design apps/tools it includes are of the same quality you likely are better off with something else.

We do have users here who are able to use it, but like @WheresWaldo mentioned their forum might be a better approach. Let's see if you can get anyone else to chime in. Unfortunately the majority of replies / threads are handled by the volunteer mods and we can't add any value on this one

Geof likes this.
  4. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I just don't know how everyone finds the time to perfect settings and check the multitudes of tools floating in slicerspace.
    There does not seem to be a general consensus on the best "free" slicer. Each has it's own pros & cons. I believe the only agreement regarding slicers is that - if you want to quite jacking around, cough up the $150 and order Simplify3D.

Guess what's on my list to do today?

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its no different then the best screw driver. :D Some are better than others and everyone has their preferred supplier.

small test prints like deprimes, marvins, etc etc that show features you want to look good and tweak and test until the profile is right. Typically once you have a profile dialed in you can make small tweaks for materials needs that your running. ex- my pla profile for my R2 and the PETG profile for my R2 are exactly the same except temps, fan speed. Difference between PC and PLA- Temps, Speeds, Fans. Not much changes. PLA to Flex- Temp, Speeds, Fans, Retraction :D. Seein a trend? I dont mean this in a negative way, more of an eye opening way-not every settings needs to change ;)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I bought it years ago and never regretted it. I cannot tell you how to spend your money other than answer questions you may have about the whys and etc of why I purchased it. Things (free slicers) have changed alot since then, I just dont mess with them as I have my slicer of choice and it works well for my purposes.

mark tomlinson and Wesley Knapp like this.