1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Confused

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Lance Weston, Mar 22, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

So maybe I confused it needlessly. Just ignore the rPi in your "UPGRADE" it simply isn't important to this discussion. There are tons of RAMPS compatible boards, you have to make sure your configuration of Marlin matches the board you are planning to use. Just look at this list; https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/wiki/Supported-Hardware. You need to make sure your board is configure for the right hardware. I suggested you compare it to the Robo configuration so you have the correct sensors on the right pins and you mimic the actual working of the R2. Things like where the endstops are located, where it homes, etc. Robo did not use all the Marlin defaults so you have to match those by making changes to the default configuration.

Clear as mud, isn't it.

2. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I purchased the standard clone board. https://www.ebay.com/itm/321974766842

From what I understand this configuration is the gold standard and the Marlin software is meant for it. Just because I think it don't mean it's so. There are many YouTube's out on how to load the Marlin code into this board. I may not have the correct thermistors, but everything else should be there. The board supports all of the IO that I need on the R2. On the bench I should be able to program it, plug my Pi into it and it should think it is a Robo. I will throw in a few switches to emulate the endstops and put on three steppers. If I am able to get that working I would like to get into making sure the thermistor settings are correct. Robo and I use 3950's.

I tried the fixing my old board by patching the three signals to the next driver over. It did not work. When the stepper controller went it must have take out the micro ports. There are no protection diodes for inductive kick on the board.

Since Robo can not supply me a replacement board I have to go this route.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is identical to what Robo used in the R1 and R1+ machines. It is a great workhorse.

Exactly true. You can dummy it all up loose on the bench and verify that everything responds as expected.

I have done this before when doing complete tear-down and rebuilds. Good way to sanity check everything.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I still have a hard time understanding why they have no spare parts. I mean, sure... not a warehouse full, but they routinely have had none.

5. Lance Weston

Wow, The R2 and is I think identical to the R1 except for size. The limits should be in the Rasberry Pi. I should be able to get the hex code for the R1 and use it.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No not exact. For instance the R2 homes Z at the bottom of the bed travel and the R1 at the top, just one example of the differences.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, waldo nailed it. The dimensions are different. The same electronics now :) So much of the firmware will be the same (same motherboard defined in configuration.h, same pin definitions, etc.)

edit: and seriously -- the firmware edits are easy, One file you need to edit (configuration.h) and someone can help you sort exactly what needs to be changed

8. Lance Weston

9. Lance Weston

I think I get it, but just to verify. The Pi will send a Gcode "home" command. On the R1 it is in a different location. I have to modify the configuration.h to set the "home" position that the R2 uses. Since it is a "standard" board the normal configuration.h will have all of the IO set up at the correct locations. I need configuration.h for the thermisters and the limits.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

11. Lance Weston

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, configuration.h specifies all the "different" things about your specific printer that Marlin needs to know. sizes, offsets, geometry in general (a delta is far different than a cartesian like the Robo).

13. Lance Weston

Thanks for all of this info. I will ask Robo for the Configuration.h file on the R2.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Lance Weston

I got it. The configuration.h links all of the other *.h files. I can not find any way to download them. I must be missing something.
    That is great, I see how the *.h files work. What I don't see is how to download those files. I must be missing something

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you just want Configuration.h, click on it, then click the button labeled RAW then just copy and paste it into a text editor. Do not use Notepad in Windows, download Notepad++ from here https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ or use another text editor

17. Lance Weston

18. Lance Weston

Thanks for the link, It has been about 15 years since I worked in C, but that configuration.h file is just a linker to all of the other *.h files. I can manually get them all that way, but it can't be the way every one gets all of those files. It is just to prone to error.

19. Lance Weston

Found it. Down load the Gidhub Desktop program. Make a copy of the repository to your local drive. You were right Notepad does not display the files correctly, your link worked like a charm. I inch forward. I really appreciate all of the time you are putting in to assist me.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, if you want all the source you are correct -- clone it to your machine. Really the best approach if you want to review everything OR if you are going to actually rebuild the firmware.