1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered How do I update the firmware on the robo3d r1+?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mclemens7, Apr 19, 2019.

1. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

HI, I havent used my robo in over 2 years and was wondering how I could update the firmware?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. Jose Cuevas

Jose Cuevas New Member

Hi I’m working on a refactoring of the last firmware published by ROBO3D with a new G-code parser, porting more G-CODE for RAMPS 1.3/1.4 from Merlín and RepRap, and a whole lot of cleanup. Just wondering if any ones wants to help with testing.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jose Cuevas there are already two new versions of Marlin on this board (1.1.9 and a 2.x.x ) for the Robo R1 series done by community members here. Why go to all the trouble of reinventing the wheel? Just asking.

And, if you are looking at the additions to Marlin that Robo made to their version, like G35 and G36. It was never mainstreamed into Marlin because it was just bad code, that didn't actually solve any issues that Robo claimed it did. It would be a monumental waste of time to port that code into newer versions of Marlin. Besides that, they only did it to support some Wizard functionality they added to RoboLCD for the R2/C2 printers.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and they did not need to as @WheresWaldo says. Marlin already was capable of making that feature work without adding anything.

6. Jose Cuevas

Jose Cuevas New Member

Besides the educational part of it and me enjoying to poke around, there aint much of a reason. I think my issue here was that is not that easy to find updated info about these printers.

When I searched the forums pretty much all the posts I looked at were pointing me to the old firmware @ Robo's page, so did 2 videos in youtube. For example see the pinned thread "How to Update and Edit Robo firmware with Arduino" fairly outdated.

In github I found a bunch of people posting their configs and mods to the old firmware. Is kind of hard to find info for this older printer.

(I which they had a good page or "pin" relevant post in this forum so they are easier to find.)

Any how, I do appreciate any pointers on where to find information about any changes needed to get the new Marlin Firmwares working for R1+!

On the other hand I will continue to play with it, just as a hobby, Im not trying to bring any of that fancy functionality, actually I just want a good support for RAMPS (similar boards) and affordable (cheap) grbl boards for CNC (basically what I play with) (spindle, laser, etc). Basic code (core) that when you look in merlin's repo is fairly untouched/stable. I'm also moving a lot of things to use hooks and function pointer to allow for modding and adding functionality without having to make so many inline changes to the core code.

I made an app to queue files to print from the SDCard and write files. In the old firmware it was futile, I'll try to see how it works with the new one.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jose Cuevas most people just either use the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller on their RAMPS board and that gives them a visual menu as well as an more convenient SD card reader. Others use something like an rPi with OctoPrint attached to their printers.

With respect to Marlin, the two big advantages to the 1.1.9 and 2.0.x is that Robo used a leveling scheme called LINEAR, in their firmware. LINEAR is as basic as it comes, at some point they switched to BILINEAR, both those schemes for auto-leveling assume your bed is flat all the way across and is basically just tilt adjustment. All the community versions either use MESH leveling or the newer Unified Bed Leveling UBL (basically MESH on steroids) to level the bed, much better and follows the warps up and down of all beds.

That is the main reason to switch, there isn't really anything like "more" support for RAMPS boards.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has been years since Robo actually released a new version of their firmware for the R1 series. So yea, any information is old and their firmware is old. There is a thread on here about updating/using a more current release of Marlin -- have you reviewed that?

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-2-0-x-release-for-robo-r1.22898/

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-1-1-9-release-for-robo-r1.22329/