1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Clogged print heads and finding the real issue.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Victor Toribio, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Victor Toribio

Victor Toribio New Member

I went threw 3 factory print heads trying to get to the bottom of my print heads clogging. After trouble shooting for 3 days I was able to track things down to a defective fan causing thermal run away on the print head. As you can see the small red wire was not connected and it would work at times and then quit working causing the thermal run away causing my print head to plug up solid. Finding this problem cost me 2 print heads to figure this out. I had to break the fan to look inside to find the wire not connected. $0.50 fan took our 2 $50.00 print heads included is a close up picture of the fan and wire I found broken off and a picture of which fan this is so you can refrence it in your repairs if you are having a similar issue. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You should still be able to clean up the defective ones (although it may not be something you want to invest the time in).
    Good catch on the fan :)

3. Victor Toribio

Victor Toribio New Member

it took me 3 days to figure this out plus the head ache of unclogging the print heads and trying to keep printing. I think that people that start having print head clog issues should definitely start at the fan and pay close attention to it. This could save them a lot of time and money.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is one reason why initially Robo used a J-Head rather than the smaller all-metal style. No hotend cooling needed (print cooling still needed so the parts fan was always there). Sadly those were not very updateable/repairable and frankly were not really cheaper either. I get why they switched -- you get a lot more filament options too :)