1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New Mega+Firmware = No motor control

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LabMinion, Jun 27, 2019.

1. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

My R1+ Arduino's USB port died so I bought a replacement Mega 2560 and installed the R1+, V2 firmware. It communicates now, but none of the motors (X, Y, Z , EXT) respond. Details:

I uploaded the Firmware using this article:
    https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000717071-Updating-firmware-with-Arduino

It wouldn't compile so after some hunting it was recommended to replace a couple files as noted here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/having-firmware-issues.19917/#post-120302

It did compile and upload after a reset of the Arduino. Is it possible the V2 software isn't compatible with my printer, or are the RAMPs shot? I tried to find an article to verify my RAMPs work, but haven't found anything yet.

Thank you for your guidance.

Jeff

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

3. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Didn't know that existed, thanks! Though I am curious why Robo would put up a firmware update/download that (1) doesn't compile and (2) doesn't work with the R1+ motors. Odd, so I'd like to know what the problem is before I try other firmware.

I didn't buy new RAMPS. I just reused the previous RAMPS with a new Arduino. So, part of the problem is to verify that the RAMPS actually works.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It worked when they posted it (late 2015) :) The compiler changed since then and they never went back and "maintained" it. If you Read the FAQ link there is a link (http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119335) to the edited files I posted that will allow the stock version to compile with newer versions of the Arduino compiler (or just use the newer version @WheresWaldo linked to) You can also use a much older version of the Arduino Compiler and it will compile -- just fine.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Robo has not updated the R1/R1+ firmware since it was released (and no real need to)

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

So is it really an R1+, I thought those had some other board layout not a "real" RAMPS board (if there is such a thing)

There are other issues with the version of firmware Robo used all corrected by the Marlin team. Although I usually espose the philosophy reiterated by @mark tomlinson of 'if it ain't broke' don't upgrade, in this case we differ. Too many bugs in the old Marlin and the newer versions are much more stable, as well as offering multiple new ways of leveling the bed and not just a single axis slope control scheme used in Robo's ,WE DON'T DO SOFTWARE AND NEVER UPGRADE OUR CODE, version that they supplied.,

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not a firmware issue, but it may be a defective RAMPS board. They are so cheap that there is effectively no QA done with them and it is not unusual to get a bad one (I know, I have had a few bad ones). Get your money back and get another one.

If you are motivated and want to prove it try something like this: https://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPSTestCode.pde
    more details here: https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?219,99920

Make sure you had the stepper driver cards installed correctly and the jumpers under the stepper drivers all installed as well.

Given the cost of the generic boards I don't even bother to troubleshoot them.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  8. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Appreciate the feedback guys. I installed the Robo3dR1-119bugfix and had the same issue, no motors moving. I checked the power supply and it's working, so I suppose it's the RAMPS.

So far I only replaced the Arduino since it had an obvious problem, and am using the stock RAMPS that came with the R3D+. I hesitated getting a new RAMPS because I read that the R3D+ has a custom RAMPS board which isn't currently available. I'll look over the guide WheresWaldo posted and see what needs to be done to move forward.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it is true. It uses a slightly customized one... mostly just the connectors rearranged and swapped -- almost all unused ones eliminated. The Guide @Geof did that @WheresWaldo pointed you at should get you sorted, but if you have any questions ask away :)

10. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

I was inspecting the stock Arduino I pulled from the R3D+ and noticed a hack/mod on the USB port extension from the manufacturer (see attached). Looks like they added a copper strip on the surface to fix an issue with the port. I suspect the strip eventually came loose and shorted the port which (I suppose) killed my RAMPs too. Not cool Robo.

Anyway, I suppose any flavor of a RAMPS 1.4 board will due, yes? (Never had to replace ramps so just checking.)

Attached Files:

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, any sellers RAMPS 1.4 will be fine.
    The instructions are targeted for that version of the board (and it is the most common).

The only caveat I will say is the same one I have echoed a number of times in the forum :)
    RAMPS boards are inexpensive for a reason and because they are so cheap (<$10 US in many cases) they are not abundant in QUALITY.
    You may very well get a brand new, dead card. In fact, last time I had to buy a RAMPS I ended up buying 3 to get 1 that worked (yep, 2 dead out of 3 from different sellers).
    I have not seen that same issue with the all-in-one kits (maybe they actually test their parts -- I have no inside knowledge) the ones that have the Arduino, the RAMPS and the stepper drivers...

#11 mark tomlinson, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Finally getting around to installing the new RAMPs board using WheresWaldo's guide and am stuck. I bought this board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B9PQDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He says, "...in the package if you bought the link I provided there are jumpers. These jumpers go under you stepper drivers. (pins under the driver) you will use 3 jumpers and jumper all 3.".

The picture with it doesn't have any jumpers installed so I need to confirm. Do I install 3 jumpers on the pins indicated with a circle on attached pic for X, Y, and Z? That is, I will install a total of 9 jumpers.

Also, wouldn't I install jumpers under the other two ports for the stepper drivers as well?

Attached Files:

#12 LabMinion, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You absolutely need all three jumpers under each driver board installed or you have NO micro-stepping defined :)

14. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Thank you for confirming! I am at the point of endstops and want to verify what he's saying. I believe he is saying:
    1. Don't use the third column of pins.
    2. Make sure to hook + to +, - to -
    3. Install X in first row
    4. Install Y in third row
    5. Install Z in fifth row
    See attached (overexposed so can see connectors).

Attached Files:

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The endstop pins are poorly labeled IMHO...
    There are three rows
    +
    -
    S

Where you want to go across S and the adjacent pin for power... NOT the top two power pins or you will short the board

16. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Oh, glad I asked! Thank you. To be clear, I should install the endstops as noted in the attached pic?

Attached Files:

17. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

The last step is to install fans (ramps/hotend) and leds. Apparently my board is different than his because I don't understand what he means by "12V input". I have servo, aux1, aux2, and aux3 ports (see attached).

My guess is aux2 since R1+ doesn't have an aux1, however the fan/led connectors are different and don's appear to fit. I see the SD card is connected to aux3 on the R1+ so I went ahead and moved that over. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly. That picture demonstrates how easy it is to cause a problem by being one pin off (and they are not large pins)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12v input means the power coming directly from the power supply on the main input plugs.

20. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Oh, I thought the pins/port on the R1+ for fans/leds were control lines not power distribution. If so, that makes sense now. Thank you. So I need to cut the connectors off each and wire them into the screw terminals for 12V.