1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Extruder not pulling filament with new E3D V6 hotend

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jake Ciasca, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

So I just got around to installing my E3D hotend, I drilled out the extruder hole for the ptfe tubing and everything is fine, the only problem is, I can't get the gear to have a firm grip on the filament and extrude it, any help would be awesome, here's a picture of it. IMG_0397[1].JPG
    IMG_0398[1].JPG IMG_0399[1].JPG

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Tighten the screws for the hobbed bolt/feed?

3. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

I have already tried that, but it doesn't seem to grip the filament any better.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

also make sure you can manually push the filament through ... you can do that when you season it

Just in case you have something mechanically blocking...

6. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

It's has nothing to do with the hot end or the filament itself I don't think, its just not gripping the filament. Should i cut the ptfe tubing shorter, or how can I modify it so the filament is in contact with the hobbed bolt and the bearing?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless this was a problem before you swapped the E3D in or there is something else that we are not aware of, it is not going to be a mechanical issue on the feed mechanism (since the extruder was not touched -- just the hotend). The gears and feed for the extruder should be identical. :)

If this was always a problem and the E3D swap is incidental then either you have a problem with the hobbed bolt or the Gregs Wade Idler block (sometimes called the Guidler) and that is the part that presses the filament into the hobbed bolt (the bearing actually presses it in place the the plastic part of the guidler keeps it in line)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For what it is worth, everything I see in the pictures looks normal.

9. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

I can extrude filament from it already, I checked that when I was hot tightening the hot end, I'm just not sure why it doesn't extrude consistently. But I will give your suggestion a try.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Inconsistent extrusion is almost certainly related to seasoning if it is PLA filament.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just a side-note/story: My original Robo Beta had the J-Head style hotend that was barely usable for ABS.
    So I swapped it when the machine first arrived for an E3D -- everything worked fine.

It took almost a year before I had need to swap the nozzle and as soon as I did -- clog city.
    I was ripping my hair out trying to solve it, Small prints would (generally) work, but anything of size would fail.

Seasoned the nozzle and never looked back. I now do it for all of the printers and even run an oiler most of the time just to not worry about it.

12. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

I should have mentioned this before but I am actually using abs.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then it is not seasoning that will help.
    However you need to sanity check your feed path.
    Either the hobbed bolt is not lined up over the feed hole or the PTFE is the incorrect size (2mm id, 4mm od) or your filament is not consistently in spec (too far out from 1.75). or there is something else mechanically awry in the feed path. Make sure everything is lined up correctly (again -- from what I can see in the pictures it looks OK, but that is not the same as eyeballs and hands on the machine). Disassemble the E3D amd make sure the PTFE liner is intact. Maybe that got damaged...

(p.s. all of this assumes you are using an actual authentic E3D v6, not a Chinese knock-off)

14. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

I think I got is somewhat working but if I have questions, I'll post here.

mark tomlinson likes this.