1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Offset issue, Extruder head & Bed collide.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mutalist, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

I'm new to using a Robo R2 printer, I've never used a Robo printer before, and I have access to one I'm trying to get setup.

My two biggest issues with the printer:

After you get done setting the Z-Offset for the printer, anytime you try and do bed calibration or the Fine Tune Z Offset, it doesn't work. It gives me an error saying "Z-Offset Not Set", and then tells me to go and set the Z-Offset before trying to use the tool. I've set the offset about 10 times, and each time, it gives me the same error when it comes to trying to use the wizards to fully level everything.

My second issue is, when you go and print, (which I can only do via a device rather then the machine, since it freezes up each time I try and print from it), it will go and do the sensor test before it gets ready to print, and in the back right corner, it will always go down as if its about to print, and it will go as if it was trying to go to the floor. Its burned a hole in the plate twice now, one bigger then the other.

I've been looking into the issue for about 4 days now, and I haven't had any luck at all. All that was suggested on the forums, and I have looked around on other sites to see if people have had any issues with the printer and posted, but absolutely no luck with any of it.

If someone has any suggestions, please comment, I'll get back as soon as I can, Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

"Z-Offset Not Set"
    Is your problem.

I had this one recently with my C2 and what I found was that the wizard was storing the Z offset incorrectly.
    You may need to go into the firmware settings on the LCD and manually set the Z offset. It should be a negative number.

UTILITIES->OPTIONS->EPROM
    Look for HOME OFFSET

mine says: Z -11.3

yours will be different but you need to see what the Z offset wizard reported, write it down and enter it here. It may be as simple as it stored a positive number and is expecting a negative.

This is likely because the autoleveling code has changed in marlin and Robo has not updated their LCD software to account for this. Still -- see if that helps.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could also be that this is an unavoidable error -- see if yours is happy with the negative offset. If not then it will need to be fixed by Robo or maybe when we finish the community version of the OS.

4. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

I went ahead and did what you told me, and when I went in to go and look at it, it was calibrated with the exact numbers when I redid the z offset. Its positive, should I put it in the negative and try and use it to see if it still doesn't work?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try it by adding the negative. That will likely cure the error, but if the version of the printer firmware is newer (a later version of Marlin than what came with the printer) it may not solve everything. So test it..

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have a feeling that the R2/C2 may be stuck on Marlin 1.1.6.x unless we can rewrite this in the community OS version of the LCD code.

7. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

So, after doing so, it didn't collide with the plate at all, it went over to the front left side, and actually tried printing, the filament was a little jammed I believe, but I know how to fix that, and I need to go ahead and re-calibrate the bed to get a more proper offset, and account for it being negative and probably cut forward instead of going deep into the negatives. Thank you so much, if you hear of anything with anything else, let me know please.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

Hey Mark, it's been a few days, and the printer is going good. Thank you again for the help on fixing my issue going with the printer. Do you know if there's a solution to fixing where the printer can actually be detected on Cura? Putting the IP, and even trying to connect using Wifi doesn't work. For the mean time I had made a custom one using the build plate size and it seems to be alright.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sorry, I don't use Cura so I am afraid I can't add any value there.

10. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

Which software do you use?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For the FDM type printers, Simplify3D.

12. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

How well does it work with them?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is all I use.
    Bear in mind that it is not free and while cheaper than CNC, XCarve, Laser cutter and other CAD software, it is not dirt cheap either.

Try all the free ones before you pay for a slicer.

14. Mutalist

Mutalist New Member

Which ones should I try first? I used Cura, and Qidi so far, since I have a Qidi printer, but it wont work well with robo either.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Repetier Host, MatterControl, Cura, KISSICER, etc. There are a lot of free ones.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You forgot PrusaSlic3r

17. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Please allow me to chime in on this.
    Getting Cura to auto-detect your printer is relatively easy. Which version of desktop Cura are you using? I take it from your text that you intend to use wireless connectivity, correct?

mark tomlinson likes this.