1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heat creep on R2 hot-end

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tkoco, Jul 30, 2019.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I experienced heat creep and the resulting clog. After clearing the heat break with a cold pull, I changed the nozzle (from default brass to harden steel which I had been planning to do anyways). I was wondering what can be done to help prevent the heat creep in the future.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

About the only thing you can do is to make sure the fans cooling the hotend itself are working correctly.
    With the older J-Head style it was never an issue, but the new smaller all-metal hotends (hexagon, E3D, Prometheus, etc) are all in need of mandatory cooling to keep the heat creep at bay.

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Thank you for the insight. Turns out that the routing of the temperature sensor wiring was partially blocking the air flow of the cooling fan. So, I reached in and adjusted the wiring route using needle nosed pliers. The other item which I have done is to remove the "Robo 3D" cover plate and leave it off to maximize the air flow.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are not the first one to say they needed to do that.