1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

DIY Dual Extruder Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by DaveKerk, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Hey all,
    I want to get my Robo R2 to be a dual extruder. I can buy the hot end from another supplier. I use Simplify3D. Simplify3D has options to add another extruder and then the offset. So if I added the second hotend and made a profile for it in Simplify3D, would it work? Or would the firmware need to be changed?
    Thanks!

2. albert3d

albert3d Member

You mention just buying a hotend, you will also need a stepper motor and an extruder of some type to mount to the back of the machine. There is a panel already built into the R2 for this. Then a PTFE tube to go up to the R2 extruder assembly. Optionally you can have it pass through the filament sensor block if you want and buy a second filament sensor. The block is designed for two. I would pass on that part though to keep things simple. The wiring is all there on the R2 for the uptown and downtown boards. Now for your question of software/firmware updates, that is a very good question. I know that @mark tomlinson did this to his C2 and documented in the thread linked below. Not sure if the R2 software had more setup already, but worth a read.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/dual-extrusion-mod-for-c2.17686/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. albert3d

albert3d Member

btw, you might also need to come up with a better hotend cooling setup since there is only one fan on the R2 and that isn't always enough for just one where it is positioned. Oh, and dual extruders sound a lot more fun than they turn out to be. Lots of tuning and tinkering. I would go with a Mosaic Palette+ or Palette 2 before venturing down this road.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Best. Suggestion. EVER.

albert3d likes this.