1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I just want to replace the hot end.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Joseph Stevens, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Joseph Stevens

Joseph Stevens New Member

I can't wait for parts direct to get a new shipment, I just need a link to something I can order from Amazon, plug it into the R2 I've been saddled with at work, and have it start printing.

I can't keep spending my own money (I'm a teacher) on parts HOPING that they'll fit. I also don't have the time, energy, or interest in 3D printing to do any more fruitless research on which parts are compatible with which machines.

And now I have to spend my Friday night in my classroom trying to fix our R1+. Thanks in advance.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is the R2 forum, let me move this to the R1 section
    Wait... are you actually asking about the R2?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R2 can ONLY use the hexagon out of the box. Unlike the R1+ (which you could easily swap to another hotend) the R2 can not easily use a different one.

You can get one from PartsBuilt (who now has Robo parts) or from Amazon (but that will require a bit of tweaking to wire in).
    Sadly PartsBuilt is (ATM) out of stock, but ping them and see when they may get more.

There is a way to convert the R2 to E3D (for example) but it means printing parts for a new carriage (there is a thread on this if you are interested)

supercazzola likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can get one from PartsBuilt specifically for the R2 then it will be easier to plug in.

IMHO the R1/R1+ was a far more versatile machine in terms of being able to reconfigure it or swap to different components. Heck if you wanted to use an E3D on the R1+ you printed a new quick-release bar and plugged it in.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not trying to make the issue overly complicated. If you can manage getting and using the correct crimping tool and connectors/pins then you can buy the hexagon from Amazon and tweak the wires/plugs to fit right in. If that sounds complicated -- don't try it :)

Sadly Robo no longer carries parts and PartsBuilt (who is the new "official source") is currently out of stock, but DO hit them up so they know you want some.

#5 mark tomlinson, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and if you are stuck, post for some help in the R1 section.. we can point you in the right direction to fix whatever ails you

7. Joseph Stevens

I have the aluminum hexagon part of the extruder. I need a new heater block. I bought some this summer, but the size was sufficiently off that I kept getting plastic leaking from the both the top and bottom, even with teflon tape wrapping the threads.

Attached Files:

8. albert3d

albert3d Member

The only difference in the C2 and R2 hotend is the heater cartridge. So if you buy the C2 hotend from partsbuilt, you could use it on the R2 if you just use your old heater cartridge. Since the heater block is all you are needing. You can even get the R2 heater cartridge separate from them if you need a new one of those as well.

C2 Hotend (in stock as of this post)
    https://www.partsbuilt.com/hotend-assembly-c2-robo-3d/

R2 heater cartridge (in stock as of this post)
    https://www.partsbuilt.com/r2-heater-core-robo/

9. Joseph Stevens

The hexagon components I have now for the r1+ and r2 are identical. Are those supposed to be different apart from the wiring?

10. albert3d

albert3d Member

I'm pretty sure they are the same. Some older R1 series hexegons didn't have the thermistor cartridge for instance. You are correct the wiring is different. The connectors and length for one, but also the voltage for the heater cartridges are different.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

the R1 uses 12v the C2 uses 19v and the R2 uses 24v that is the key difference

12. Joseph Stevens

Do you know exactly what kind of connectors each uses? Switching out components would be a lot easier if I could just insert them into new connectors instead of soldering them to the old ones.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Complete tear-down of C2 in that thread (most of which applies to the R2 as well)

@Geof has an R2 tear down thread I think

15. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You should not need teflon tape to seal the nozzle to the heat-break. After you clean up the heater block ( block.png ), screw the heat break into the heat block on the top and the nozzle ( cleaned up as well ) into the bottom. Of course, install the thermistor sensor and heater to complete the assembly. Install the hot-end assembly into the R2. Have a couple of adjustable wrenches on hand. Power on the R2. Attempt a simple preheat ( to around 40 or 45 C ) to test that the thermistor and heater are wired in correctly.

If at this point you are successful, set the hot-end to 290 C. Once the hot-end assembly get stable at 290 C, use the 2 adjustable wrenches to snug the heat break and nozzle together. One wrench on the heat block, the other on the nozzle. No guerrilla tightening! Too much torque can strip the threads in the aluminum heater block. Then set a cool-down for the hot-end and wait for it to reach room temperature.

The aluminum heat block physically shrinks more than the heat break or the nozzle. So as it approaches a lower temperature, the heat break and nozzle junction will tighten even more and completely seal. So long as you don't print filament near 290 C, the joint will remain sealed.

Afterwards, run the Z Offset, Bed Level & Fine Tune Z Offset wizards. Procedure is at the beginning of the Troubleshooting forum.

#15 tkoco, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  16. EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext Member

@mark tomlinson Why do you day that you can only use the hex hotend out of the box for the R2? Over the weekend, I just put in a Nova Hotend with no modifications. Just pushed it up in the holder. For the thermister, I used the base one from 3DPassion and it didn't require any firmware changes, it just worked.

https://3dpassion.com/nova

http://embracenext.com/robo3d/r2nova.mp4

This brings me to the reason I am looking on the forums. I see adapters and such made for the E3D hotends, what I don't see is how the filament is funneled into the hotend. When you take out the hex end, there is a metal piece that has a bevel on it to lead the filement in. The nova had it too. However I don't see that for the E3D v6. Where do people get it or what are people doing who made that mod?

Thanks!

17. albert3d

albert3d Member

Did you use their heater cartridge and thermistor or did you use the stock ones? If you used theirs, then did they have the same connectors to go to the downtown board? The firmware is only setup for the stock thermistor. That also might need to be updated to account for theirs. And man...100W heater? Wow. Never heard of this hotend before.

18. EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext Member

I used the 300C NTC Thermister.
    https://3d-passion.myshopify.com/collections/store/products/nova-temperature-sensor-2

That works perfect. I put the jst connector on to fit the R2 board. I used the stock R2 heater. As far as the fit, I bought the hotend with the short adapter. Screwed that on and shoved it up as high as it would go in the R2 block, tighten it up and its printing very well. About 100 hours so far.

19. albert3d

albert3d Member

ok. As long as the NTC Thermistor has the same data table as the thermistor the stock robo uses, you should be ok. If not, your temps might be slightly off from what you are expecting. I would do a PID tuning though if you already haven't. The distance from the tip must have been close to stock or your the IR and/or your z offset would be off. Interesting hotend. I bit pricey for anything I would use.

20. EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext Member

I don't use the bed leveling. Its so horrible. I have manually leveled it and rarely ever have to touch it again. PID is done. It is close enough where its working good. The only thing I don't like about this hotend is the manufacture has no .4mm nozzles. Its .5 or .25