1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First attempt with a used early unit. Limit switch adjustments?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Nov 13, 2019.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Using Matter Control.

I can use the manual axis controls fine. But . . .

"Home" does not work in the Z axis, in that, it only moves upward, each time I click "home". That is not normal, is it?

Another issue is that filament feed does not respond to Extract, or Extrude. No sound or vibration at all.

It does seem to heat the bed and extruder although I did not let it approach the set point, I was content to feel them getting warm at this stage.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One of the switches on the Z is out of place, there is one under each side of the carriage

3. joea

joea Active Member

The one on the right hand side is sitting inboard and the one on the left is sitting outboard of the respective lead screw. Both are oriented with the lever "up", which at first glance appears odd, as there seems to be nothing to "trip" them.

Looking at the "innards", it appears the two switches are wired together and connect as a single pair of wires to the controller.

I also just noticed the X-axis does not home and only moves to the right under homing command. I did not observe that before, not sure if it just started or I just did not observe correctly.

#3 joea, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. joea

joea Active Member

The Extruder issue was neophyte operator error. Now that I allowed it to heat up, it seems to work properly.

5. joea

joea Active Member

I did find the piece about adjusting the switches, but, as you may be able to see from the pictures, the switches do not match the "how to", having a lever to actuate the switch and it appears there is a black plastic "clip on" missing.

Perhaps the adjustment procedure is different for the earlier models?

Is the basic idea that one or both of these actuate when the carriage "lifts up" when striking the bottom of it's travel?

Attached Files:

#5 joea, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are effectively the same switch with or without the lever.

7. joea

joea Active Member

Apparently so. I adjusted the switches as seemed reasonable based on the above and it homed properly.

A previously reported issue with the X axis was due to one of the leads to that limit switch having fallen off.

I made sure to "crimp" the contact surfaces on the terminals to help assure that does not happen again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. joea

joea Active Member

I have to believe the switches were deliberately set incorrectly as both were completely out of position and the securing screw was quite tight.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Anything is possible. If it were new they were assembled in China...

10. joea

joea Active Member

This is a used, early version I got via an "estate sale". Supposedly it was in use, perhaps in an educational setting.

Anyway, working now and I did manage to get the "circle" printed. Seems round enough, but a bit crude on top. Not sure how it should look so going to look for a few other existing samples to print.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, while they are not hugely complex, they are electro-mechanical and not everyone is willing to learn how to work on them ... and they will need it at some point :)

I have 4 that started life as R1 units (two were original kickstarter betas from 2013) and another 2 that were R1+. All of them have been upgraded to R1+ (except for the bed on one of the beta units) and they all still work fine. These are cheap to work on/maintain and they do a reasonably good job printing (more so if you can bring it up to an R1+ equivalent).

12. joea

joea Active Member

This one has a multi color ribbon cable from the bed to the base, which may indicate something to those in the know. Perhaps a KS version?

Anyone have a list of "upgrades" to bring it to R1 + level? Not that I will do that, I may just use this as my "learner" and try to get the BigBox going that I also picked up with this one. But, one thing at a time, an old dog has to learn new tricks slowly.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member