1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Noisy Fan fix?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Nov 14, 2019.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Is there a fix for the noisy extruder fan? The tiny on on the right side, as facing the machine?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Bigger fan if it fits, small fans from every manufacturer are noisy

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you look on thingiverse there are some fan adapters to allow you to use 40 or 50 mm fans (rather than the 35mm one stock).
    Like @WheresWaldo said the stock ones are junk (and this is true form every hotend maker really, none supply quality fans because there are none made in that size).

4. joea

joea Active Member

Having some confusion looking at items on thingiverse, but I did notice that the extruders shown have hex shaped fins, while the one I have looks pretty much round, to me.

Also, this one has no bottom cover. Both hex extruder and bottom cover are said be be signs of an R1 or R1+ and not the KS version.

This fan measures 30MM.

So, my roller coaster ride continues.

#4 joea, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have an original beta (no hexagon hotend, no bottom cover, no auto-leveling and only single Z switch on the side at the bottom) then that sounds right :) If you have an R! that someone left the bottom loose on ...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe include some pictures.
    I am quite familiar with the beta (I had two and both have been upgraded to R1 or R1+ in one case)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. you can easily upgrade that old J-Head hotend the beta originally had for the E3D or Hexagon if you want.
    That will increase the amount of materials you can use (the J-Head had a limit of 245c)

Ironically upgrading the hotend was more difficult on the R1+ simply because of the quick-release lever they added.

Super ironically it was a royal PITA on the C2/R2 because they redesigned the carriage to specifically fit the Hexagon.

#7 mark tomlinson, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  8. joea

joea Active Member

Here are a few pictures. Given the blue tape holding a few things in place . . .

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well with that hotend and bed it is not a beta, but it may be an early R1 or a modified one.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd say that replacing that hotend (with well, anything else) would be fairly easy.

11. joea

joea Active Member

Is there some pressing reason I would want to replace it? Sounds like you are saying it has some issues.

What about the Z drive? Lead screw upgrade? Those kinda look like threaded rod, to me except for the "not knife" edge on the threads.

12. joea

joea Active Member

I just found the manual that must have come with it. Fell behind the seats in the Truck.

"Getting Started Guide, Version 1.2 Revised 8-12-13". So there is that. Mentions Kit form or Assembled inside.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, if it works ... let'er be.

There is a thread or two on the leadscrew upgrade options if you are really interested.
    If the threaded rod is using a coupler to connect to the stepper and this picture JUST shows one:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?attachments/20191115_161000-small-jpg.17695/

It is not an R1+ and does not have the leasdscrews, but has threaded rods. There is a small detail printing / finish performance improvement that can be gained by switching to leadscrews, but the printer will largely function as advertised without them.

14. joea

joea Active Member

Back on the original topic, a drop of synthetic lube in the fan hub area made it a bit quieter. There is a rattle as it is not balanced well and the adapter is quite loose on the extruder.

Anyway, I will live with that for a while anyway.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I replaced all fans on my R1 with brushless fans and it's now silent other than the moving air. Huge difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. joea

joea Active Member

Happen to have a brand name, or a supplier name?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I suggest Noctua (but that is just me)

Geof likes this.
  18. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I don't remember the brand. Just purchased on eBay the correct size for each fan in the system including the one inside the power supply. I think I may have added one over the control board. If there was one there I replaced it and repositioned it. Been almost a year ago and I remember doing some mod on the board cooling because I was having an issue with stepper drivers overheating.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  19. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The small 25mm fans spin fast, make a lot of noise, don't last long, and have limited air flow. I printed a 25mm to 40mm adapter from Thingiverse, and it solved all of these issues.

20. joea

joea Active Member

Don't know if anyone will pick up on this old thread, but as I ponder new filaments, wondering what are the max extruder and bed temps on this model? Have not found that spec anywhere.