1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 Z Wizard wont calibrate correctly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kizmet, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

I just unpacked my kickstarter R2. (It was in storage all this time).

The Z axis micro limit switch was caved in (from shipping), had to fix that first.
    Then the Z calibration wizard just froze when the bed raised up to the probe.
    So I reflashed the SD card with roboOS_1.8.1-r2.1 (found it here on forums)
    Updated firmware from LCD screen to 2.0.0-r2.6

Now the wizard does not get stuck when the bed raises to the probe. (takes about 33 seconds to resume wizard)
    Ill get a value of +13.55. I know this value needs to be -13.55.

I know I can get current position by using M114

Also:
    I forgot which cmd I used to store the Z-Offset to -13.55.
    When i hit the motor controls -> raise Z. It correctly moves the bed up to the manually set Z-Offset.
    But when it goes to print something it doesnt seem to use that set Z-Offset, the hotend extrudes at roughly 2cm above the bed.

If I try bed calibration, it will say I still have a default Z offset of 13.55 and I would have to do a z-offset calibration 1st.

If I set the z offset manually in the EEPROM screen on the printer, then it will do bed calibration, but the probe/extruder are too far off the bed (see image bed-calibration-jpg).

What do I need to do in order to tune Z offset, and bed calibration successfully?

Attached Files:

#1 Kizmet, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

First off, do a reset of the firmware parameters. Using the terminal mode within OctoPrint or Cura, send a gcode of M502 (waiting a few seconds until the box cleared) and then a gcode of M500 (again waiting until the box cleared). This will reset the firmware in the R2 Printer to factory default values.

Next carefully follow the print bed leveling procedure. Read through the procedure before attempting it.
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/leveling-the-r2-print-bed.23492/

Lastly, please report back and let us know what transpires.

3. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Thanks for the reply =)

1. The bed calibration wizard will refuse to start claiming a default offset of 20 or whatever value was set last:
    a. if the z-offset has not been manually set in eeprom menu to a negative value, the bed calibration wizard will not start
    b. so If I had run the z offset wizard to a value of 13.65, I would have to set the value to -13.65 manually using options-> Eeprom on the printer.
    2. So if I have changed the eeprom z offset manually to say -13.65, then the bed calibration will start, but the extruder is about about 1cm above the bed. Which means its not possible to make adjustments with the z offset paper, cause the extruder is way too high. See bed calibration.jpg attached in my 1st post to see what I mean.

I have used M502, and M500 after updating the board and roboOS.

Having said that tomorrow Ill try this thing again, by tightening all the bed screws all the way first. (hopefully closing the 1cm gap)
    Ill document the steps better and report back. (Sometimes you miss things....)

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1. Yea, we know. Bum LCD (i.e. RoboOS) update at some point.
    2. Did you do the Z offset fine-tuning wizard? If that doesn't work just manually adjust the value you are storing in the EEPROM as needed to get it on the bed.

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The more you tighten the screws, the larger the gap between the print bed and the hot-end. Where are you changing the eeprom values? Via the EEPROM Marlin Editor Plugin found in the Octoprint Settings menu? Any changes made via that editor must be saved. Otherwise, the changes will be lost.

6. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Im changing the values from the EEPROM Editor via the Printer LCD screen Utilities -> Options -> EEPROM -> Home Offset.
    Additionally there is no EEPROM Marlin Editor Plugin available on the Octoprint Web Interface.
    Im assuming this is something I have to install myself.

I'm following and documenting the process @tkoco suggested.

7. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Robo 3D R2 Calibration Log
    Reset firmware via octoprint web
    So I sent m520, followed by m500

Send: M502
    Recv: echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
    Recv: ok
    Send: M105
    Send: M500
    Recv: echo:Settings Stored (498 bytes; crc 23950)
    Recv: ok
    1. Bed Calibration:
      1. Starting bed Calibration wizard generates error:
        1. Z-Offset Not SetThe Z-Offset is set to 14.2 Please set the Z-Offset before using this tool.
    2. Setting 14.2 Offset to -14.2
      1. Printer LCD screen Utilities -> Options -> EEPROM -> Home Offset.

2. change value to -14.2
    3. Bed Calibration 2nd Attempt
      1. Following directions as listed in the tutorial
        1. Selecting Manual Mode

2. the bed is way too low to calibrate Front Left as illustrated

3. Sent M500 restarted Calibration wizard.
          1. same result
      2. Used Motor Controls -> Raise Z to check if height is correct
        1. Its not way too far off
      3. Change Z-Offset from EEPROM menu as before to +14.2
        1. Used Motor Controls -> Raise Z to check if height is correct
          1. The z-offset height is correct!
      4. Sent m500 to save settings

5. Try Bed Calibration Wizard again
        1. Z-Offset Warning
    Bed Calibration Wizard
    1. Started Z offset wizard to raise bed

2. followed instructions from site (I do not have privileges to post links, see staffer link in this thread)

1. Preliminary set up of the print bed:

2. Setting the initial Z Offset of the Print Bed:

1. result: The new Z-Offset value of 14.2 has been captured

2. once I press save, the bed goes to bottom automatically

Bed Calibration Wizard
    1. Bed Calibration:
      1. Starting bed Calibration wizard generates error:
        1. Z-Offset Not SetThe Z-Offset is set to 14.2 Please set the Z-Offset before using this tool.
    2. Setting 14.2 Offset to -14.2
      1. Printer LCD screen Utilities -> Options -> EEPROM -> Home Offset.
      2. change value to -14.2
    3. Bed Calibration 2nd Attempt
      1. Following directions as listed in the tutorial
        1. Selecting Manual Mode
        2. the bed is way too low to calibrate Front Left as illustrated
        3. Sent M500 restarted Calibration wizard.
          1. same result
      2. Used Motor Controls -> Raise Z to check if height is correct
        1. Its not way too far off
      3. Change Z-Offset from EEPROM menu as before to +14.2
        1. Used Motor Controls -> Raise Z to check if height is correct
          1. The z-offset height is correct!
      4. Sent m500 to save settings
      5. Try Bed Calibration Wizard again
        1. Z-Offset Not Set, The Z-Offset is set to 14.2 Please set the Z-Offset before using this tool.

Attached Files:

8. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

I dont understand the printer settings very well, but it seems to me that during bed calibration the value of z-offset is not being read correctly? Maybe if the code can be changed and unified, so that all values are read positively or negatively. And the bed calibration wizard does not stop if it detects a positive value. Not sure if that makes sense.

9. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

This is also weird, if the Home Z offset is set to 14.2, however if I send M114 (report current position) it reports the following after I hit the Raise Z button. Which to my understanding should raise the bed to: Z 14.20
    Send: M114
    Recv: X:0.00 Y:197.00 Z:20.00 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:15760 Z:16000

Instead the printer responds that its at Z20.

10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

In Settings / Octoprint area, open the Plugin Manager. Look in the listing for that Marlin Editor plugin and install ir.

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

It appears that the change to the Marlin Z Offset via the LCD screen is not being saved. Try setting the Z Offset via the Octoprint EEPROM Marlin Editor plugin and then save it. I have used this plugin in the past and it always works when you save changes.

12. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

I've also managed to do this via EEPROM Marlin Editor plugin, and saved it. It has to save the value, otherwise the Bed Calibration process would have never started. Have you taken a look at the pictures I have uploaded, they are numbered in sequence.

1. The z offset wizard sets a value of 13.45 (this changed from my log, because I re-adjusted bed screws)
    2. I changed the value in the Marlin EEPROM plugin as instructed.

But when returning to bed calibration, the bed is still too far away from extruder.

**edit: added screenshots to prove eeprom values are being saved.

Attached Files:

#12 Kizmet, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  13. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The construction of the C2 & R2 printers are such that Z Offset values in the Marlin firmware MUST be negative offsets.

@WheresWaldo , can you assist with instructions (or links) about compilation of the Marlin firmware? Sounds like the firmware needs updating.

14. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Yes. I did look at the images. As I said before, the Z Offset must be a negative value. Otherwise, the wizards will not function properly.

15. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Yes, once the value is negative (in this case -13.45), the bed calibration wizard will start.
    The problem is, the extruder is way too far away from the bed. See image (6_ bed_calibration_initial_pos_2.png)

That would be what the Bed Calibration Wizard calls front left (because i selected manual as instructed)
    Notice how the extruder is way too high off the bed. Enough to fit a pen in between. No amount of turning screws will close that gap.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So make it less negative. More negative => further from the bed. Or perhaps you have a global Z offset defined somewhere in your slicer -- that will jolly well mess things up.

17. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Im not using any external software, only the printer controls.
    If I cant calibrate the bed, theres no point in trying out software to print, is there?

Also during the z-offset wizard the value 13.45 is perfect, because there is the proper amount of resistance between extruder nozzle and paper. Setting it less negative say for example -14 will make it so the extruder crashes into the bed. Not sure if thats the desired effect.

18. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

One other possibility is that the Octoprint image and the Firmware image are fighting each other (incompatible). You might have to revert to an earlier version of firmware or recompile the firmware to better match the controller hardware.

The R2 printer has undergone changes since the initial kickstarter release.

19. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

Well I'm currently using:
    1. RoboOS 2.0.0-r2.6
    2. Firmware: Official Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.4_R2.hex

Which versions are known to work?

20. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The software / firmware releases, which you refer to, are for the latest R2 production. Your R2 printer is a kickstarter printer. I do not work for ROBO, so I honestly don't know. However, @mark tomlinson or @WheresWaldo or @Geof might be able to answer your question.