1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Trying to print a calibration cube.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by George R Timmis, Jan 2, 2020.

1. George R Timmis

George R Timmis New Member

So I just got my robo3d R1 and a copy of simplify3d. I cleaned up the rails and put lithium grease on them.

I went to print my first print a calibration cube to see how well the machine can print and what adjustments I may need to look into.

Well the first layer seemed to be doing fine, but as the print continued the results got worse. It seemed to not be lifting the Z high enough to start the next layer. I tried two times with nearly the same results.

I'm new to 3d printing and I have no idea what could be causing this problem.

Could I get some advice? Thank you so much in advance. I attached a picture of the two cubes

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Where did you get the printer (is it new)?
    Which model is it exactly (the R1 is not new, the R1+ was the last R1 model)?

[note that the Beta, the R1 and the R1+ LOOK almost the same, but they are different mechanically]

Has anyone messed with the firmware on this printer at some point?
    Obviously if it is new that is less likely, but we have no clue :)

3. George R Timmis

This printer is not new. I got it from an uncle that sadly passed away. I'm not sure how to tell whether it is the r1 or r1+. I'm also not sure about the firmware could I flash the firmware back to stock or an updated firmware?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, but you must first know exactly which one you have :)
    Sort of a Catch-22.

If you have pictures of the bed and the point where the Z rods -- the threaded ones -- go into the bottom of the case from the top -- we can figure out which one you have. It could simply be that it needs a mechanical leveling (without knowing your model we can't assume anything).
    You probably can't post the pictures here, but flickr or imagur will work (and then post a link to them).

5. George R Timmis

Ok I will get some pictures tonight when I get off of work. Thank you for your quick response and help.

6. George R Timmis

I actually found a picture on my phone. I attached it to this post can you see it?

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably an R1, or a beta that had the bed upgrade :) Picture doesn't really include the bed, but I assume it is the R1 style black glass bed. Only way to know would be to figure out which size the threaded rods are (are they 5/16 thread or 8mm thread) but assuming it is the R1 you can find the latest firmware over here:

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000723672-Robo-R1-original-firmware

instructions for updating are here:

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000717071-Updating-firmware-with-Arduino

But the FAQ thread has a more updated set of instructions that you might be better off using:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119335

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can easily figure out what size the threaded rods are that would be certain.
    I'd say try the R1 firmware and if that is still off we can try the beta version -- the steps per mm on the Z are different which could lead to this type of problem.

9. George R Timmis

Thank you! It is the black glass bed. I will have to figure out some way to get the dimensions of the rods. I will flash the R1 firmware tonight when i get home and see if that solves the problem though.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

get a nut those sizes and see if one fits :). The firmware change is also just a value so I the 8mm if the z steps are bonkers try the other :)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, if that gets worse then use the R1+ version and see.
    With the black glass bed that is an R1 :)

Geof likes this.
  12. George R Timmis

Thats what I was figuring I was going to do.

13. George R Timmis

thank you guys so much for the help. I flashed the firmware and it printed this cube out! its not perfect but its a good start to get this printer going again! You guys are awesome!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG