1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis moves upward during Fine Tune Wizard

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Clay Raber, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Clay Raber

Clay Raber New Member

Currently, I am fine-tuning my R2 with the wizard. But halfway through extruding the line, the z-axis moves upward and smashes against the extruder. What is happening and why??

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I suspect either the wizard needs to be reloaded (i.e. RoboOS restored) or the Z sensor (IR sensor that detects the bed position) is dirty or going bad.

@Geof @WheresWaldo

can probably add some ideas as well

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have no more to add but what has already been said, besides I don't use the wizards at all. Not true, I use the filament load and unload wizards only.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can manually "fine-tune" the Z offset yourself quite easily.
    Look at your first layer (use something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13053 and size it to fit the bed)
    Print it and then adjust your Z offset directly in the firmware (in increments of 0.1 or less) to get your first layer to look similar to this:

https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

more negative numbers are further from the bed (less squished) and less negative numbers are closer to the bed (more squished).
    That is essentially all the fine-tuning wizard is having you do.

5. Clay Raber

Clay Raber New Member

Got it worked out, there was a piece of tape tripping the IR sensor. Thanks so much for the replies.

mark tomlinson likes this.