1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-Offset Broken

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by curiousjoi, Jan 12, 2020.

1. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

I'm so close to finishing a print job but now my Robo 3D plus does not move left and right anymore :(

I ran g29 and it says that the x is moving but it's not actually moving on my printer (print log attached).

I really hope someone can help me!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, is the stepper turning?
    Is it trying to move and not? If you disconnect the belt from the stepper does the stepper turn?
    We need to isolate this to a mechanical or electrical issue :)

If it was printing and just "stopped" then reboot the printer and the host program driving it.

3. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

The belts arent even trying to move haha. It finished the print and I've closed the program re-opened it and re-"installed" the drivers and still no dice.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1) Is the X stepper trying to turn?
    You would hear a hum or see the belt twitch since the X stepper is right there above the bed on the cross-bar.

2) Is it at HOME position?
    If you turn the printer off and manually move the extruder to center of the bed and then turn the printer on and try to HOME it, does the X axis HOME correctly (or does it not move at all)?

5. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

No noise from the x stepper and it doesn't move at all

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even if you center it and tell the printer to HOME all axis?

You need to answer all of the questions so I can rule out all of the possible problems.

"Doesn't move at all" is not enough information...

7. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

Sorry about that... When I hit the home function, the bed moves, the Y and Z offset move but the X offset remains where It is. None of the screws move on the X stepper, or I don't seem them trying to move. I've turned the knobs on the x stepper so they do indeed function but mechanically they don't.

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, good. So with the power off you can manually move the stepper around, but when turned on it is not moving when commanded.
    That means it is electrical (or electronic). You will want to take the top cover off and the bottom* cover off to do the next steps.
    None of these parts are very expensive and if you can do the labor you can fix this fairly cheaply even if a component is dead.

Remove all filament from the extruder and feed.
    Unplug the printer.

It could be one of the following (and I would suggested testing them in this order):

Fault:
    1) Bad stepper motor or wire disconnected.
    2) Bad stepper driver for the X stepper
    3) Bad RAMPS 1.4 board

Visually check the boards under the printer and the wires/connectors to make sure none has come loose (that would be the easiest fix)

Testing:
    1) On the bottom of the printer move the connector for the X stepper to a different axis. I'd suggest swapping it with the Y axis stepper connector. This page shows you the board and labels the parts for an R1+ (the R1 is slightly different, I assume you have the R1+) it also has some of the disassembly details. The page is discussing a bad extruder, in your case we care about the X stepper so pay attention to where the wire for it and the Y stepper are connected and which way the connector is on the board because if you plug it in backwards the stepper will run backwards. Not a crisis, but you would still need to go back and sort it.

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002197612-Extruder-motor-malfunction

Once you have swapped the cable connector for the X and Y, carefully turn the printer over, plug the printer in and turn it on. With it connected to the software tell the X axis to move 10 or 20 mm or whatever. The Bed should move. If the bed does NOT move then the stepper motor is NOT the issue. If the bed DOES move then it is the X axis stepper motor. Power down and put the connectors back where they belong. If the stepper motor is bad you can get them from Amazon cheap enough (and we can point you to them). If the stepper motor was NOT bad then on to the next thing to try

2) Unplug the printer, turn it back over and this time you are going to swap the stepper driver. It is a small board that sits on top of the RAMPS board where you just moved the connects. They look like these (color may vary):

stepper driver.jpg

The one you want is the one for the X axis. This page has a good description of which ones are for each axis. They are also silk screened onto the RAMPS if you look. Use a small flat screwdriver to help lift the driver for the X out of it socket, set it aside and do the same for the Y driver. Swap them. Put the X one in the Y slot and vice-versa. Turn the printer back over and plug everything back in and once again connect and attempt to move the X. If it does move -- then the stepper driver is the culprit -- they are also very cheap on Amazon.

3) if nothing else has helped then it is likely a bad RAMPS board. We have a thread I can point you to with instructions on how to swap the Robo custom RAMPS board in the R1+ to a generic one that you can get on Amazon.

*just be careful when you do that, the fan that cools the electronics is attached to the bottom cover and has a really short wire so if you just pull the cover off it will get unplugged and you have to hunt to find the connector :) If you carefully lift the edge and look as you are doing it you can SEE the connector and will know where to plug it back in. It will need to be unplugged so that you can get to everything.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is why I wanted to have you confirm it was not a mechanical binding -- that is a lot easier and quicker to sort out :)

10. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

:)

When I did the wire swap, the cranks that feed the filament (sorry I don't know the real term) start spinning than when I switch it back to how they were, nothing happens. So if I'm reading the instructions right - I need to get one of those generic pieced from amazon? just want o make sure before i order anything.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The filament gears? OK, if you swapped it for the extruder stepper to test, that is fine. All of the steppers in the Robo are pretty much the same motor. All you needed to do was to verify that the stepper itself was not bad.

Did you ever get to where the X stepper was actually moving? If the wires that should have made the X stepper turn DID MAKE another stepper motor (extruder, Y, whatever) turn then you do not have bad electronics, you have a bad stepper motor. Please confirm...

Be specific about which steps you did and what happened. Remember -- we can not see what you did or what happened :)

#11 mark tomlinson, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  12. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

I did another wire swap and this time with the Y and the X wire. The stepper doesn't move when I hit the Y offset but the bed moves when I hit the X offset. When I move the bed with the X offset it now makes some horrible grinding noise, but when I put the Y back to its original wire position, the bed moves smoothly with no grinding noise.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The "grinding" noise the stepper dropping steps probably because the stepper driver chip is not tuned for that stepper motor (and the bed has more mass to move than the X carriage so it wants more current) -- in short -- normal.

Good. You have confirmed a bum stepper motor then :)
    The motors you need are any correctly sized NEMA-17 stepper. 200 steps/rev ... something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07LF898KN/

I bought a 5-pack like this a number of years ago: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8

14. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

Thanks! I ordered the set assuming I have to replace all three of the motors. Amazon prime so should arrive fast - I will report back once they are swapped out.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well you can probably replace the X alone, but ... spares are good and if you want to just replace them all while you are in there -- have at it. That means you have all new ones at least :)

Your extruder stepper MAY be a slightly different size because (consistency!) not all of the Robo machines had identical extruder motors. Mine did and those fit the extruder too, but some of the R1+ machines had a slightly smaller one there. Electrically they were the same, but physically they were slightly smaller.

16. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

I received the motor parts but I'm not sure as to which one I should be changing.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

can you be a bot more specific on what you received? Steppers? If so you replace the stepper that is misbehaving (X I think yours was) -- unbolt it and bolt the new one in (you have to remove the belt first and put that back when done). Start by taking the top cover off... That way you can reach everything. You also have to remove the bottom cover (pay attention to where the fan under there is plugged in) in order to plug the new stepper in. Once you are done test the stepper and if it runs backwards you have the connector reversed so rotate it 180 degrees where it plugs into the RAMPS board under the printer.

18. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

I was able to unbolt the x stepper and was about to replace the new one but notice I don’t have the belt holder on... is there a way to remove this from the old motor or do I have to order one? (pic attached)

Attached Files:

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

hello - I finally got around to doing this, ordered everything listed in this thread and it's still not working.... Right now the X moves but there is a loud grinding noise and stuttered movements.