1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-Offset Broken

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by curiousjoi, Jan 12, 2020.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The loud grinding noise is the stepper skipping steps and is likely because the stepper driver is not driving enough current. Swap the stepper driver or adjust the current output for it. Here are some details on how to calibrate the current if you want to try that:

Not a video, but a write up with pictures:
    https://matterhackers.dozuki.com/Guide/Tuning+Motor+Current/37

Make sure your stepper driver still has the heat sink installed. Sometimes they fall off (use superglue to reattach it) in which case they will overheat and limit the output current automatically.

They should come preset from the factory, but as they age things change. I am lazy and just replace them when they are too low on output current (they cost roughly $2 or less)

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try swapping the X stepper driver with another one as a test to see if it works.
    Changing the motor can affect the amount of current needed to driver it a small amount and sometimes that is enough to start dropping steps.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This diagram shows you where each stepper driver is located on the R1+ RAMPS (the R1 is slightly different). It is the one just above the connector labeled X motor...

Robo3D R1 +Plus Ramps Board (labeled).jpg

4. curiousjoi

curiousjoi New Member

ok i tried doing some adjustments but after playing with it some more i realized - the motor doesnt move at all just shakes.

the motor I swapped was the one that wasn't turning connected to the belt.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So did you adjust the current from the stepper driver for that motor? Swap a different stepper driver in place of that one -- it could be faulty.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When a stepper does not move correctly you have the following possibilities in descending order of how likely it is:
    1) The stepper driver
    2) The stepper motor (or something physically blocking it from moving)
    3) The RAMPS board
    4) The Arduino
    5) Power supply (last because if it were bad all of the steppers should fail)

Naturally "or the wiring" can be added to each and every item on that list :)

Honestly the Arduino failure is rare because that means only certain I/O pins died and if the Arduino fails it is usually everything that fails. Sadly RAMPS failure is less rare, but fort he stepper outputs it is not the usual suspect. For the bed heater? Yea, almost always the RAMPS

#26 mark tomlinson, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The stepper motor is a current loop control system where the RAMPS drives the current via the stepper driver board.