1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 Image download link.

Discussion in 'Software' started by JohnShuba, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You know, that could be... mine does NOT have the HDMI either, but I have not actually booted this image.
    Give me a day to burn and test it on mine... if it works on mine maybe it is just a bad upload.

@tkoco sourced this one for me :)

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and I think he has HDMI on his C2 LCD :)

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Correct, Mark. The image is for a HDMI screen.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bummer, but not unexpected news. I can reimage mine and upload that instead. Like I said that will take a day so ... stay tuned

5. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Yep, that is what it is.

I took a known working R2 image and put it on that C2, no boot.

I took this new C2 image and put it in that known working R2, and it does work. Doesn't work in the C2.

I didn't realize there was a difference in the HDMI and the non-HDMI images. I took the working (old) C2 image and found a few changes between its config.txt and the config.txt on the HDMI image. Using the non-HDMI config did not solve the screen issue, neither did using the entire boot partition from the old C2 image.

Looks like we'll need to get a fully updated C2 image with non-HDMI screens.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the R2 all were HDMI from, the start, the C2 started out non-HDMI (it used the GPIO bus to drive an LCD) but at some point they switched to using HDMI. This means the Pi is missing the driver for the non-HDMI LCD... if you are savvy enough to SSH directly to the rPi you CAN install the driver... Try installing the drivers for this LCD: https://smile.amazon.com/Miuzei-Raspberry-Display-Monitor-Resolution/dp/B07H2CR49S

You can get the drivers from here: https://github.com/HyperTK/LCD-show

Use the 3.5inch RPi Display(MPI3501) if your LCD does NOT have an HDMI connector
    use the 3.5" HDMI Display-B(MPI3508) if it does have HDMI

Pretty sure mine was MPI3501, but I honestly do not remember -- it might have had the HDMI connector but it was not used if it did (it used the GPIO pins cable).

I will try tomorrow to take down and clone the image we have, but it will be the weekend earliest before I can be sure to have it uploaded to the gDrive where the other image is located...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ultimately rather than make their images universal Robo only loaded up the drivers that were needed for the hardware it was installed on (Shame, Robo... shame) when a hundred extra kilobytes would not have mattered ;)

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Playing the devil's advocate: Since they had a functional tech support at the time, they knew which RoboOS image to send to the end user based on the serial number of the C2 printer. At the time, they probably did not imagine that the company would change like it did.

Fortunately, the C2 user's have this forum to try and help them since the collapse of the tech support at Robo.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am cloning my image now, when done I will upload it to the same GDrive where I have the other image -- I will change the names in some way to make it clear which is which (i.e. HDMI video vs. GPIO video). Probably will not be uploaded before late today or early tomorrow.

will be named:
    C2-HDMI-RoboOS-2_0.zip -> uses the HDMI connector
    Robo_C2_GPIO_v2.zip -> does not use HDMI

#29 mark tomlinson, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The one downside to this is that I long ago expanded mine to use a 32gb SD card and the image of mine will (likewise) be a 32gb image.
    That may cause some grief for folks using smaller SD cards :) They will need to use a larger one for this. I will update this when it is completed synching.

If someone else wants to provide an image of a smaller one I can swap to that (but it needs to be the non-HDMI enabled one @Geof maybe?)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@tkoco is going to downsize the image to not require a 32gb SD card, but it is there if you want to get it (and use a 32gb card to burn the image to)

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, thanks to @tkoco :

Compressed image file becomes 3.4 Gb after extracting. It should auto-expand upon the first boot-up. Recommend at least 8 Gb SDcard minimum.

named: Robo_C2_GPIO_v2.zip

Will be done uploading in an hour or two.

WheresWaldo and albert3d like this.
  13. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

I did check out the non-HDMI image. All appears to be working well.

Odd thing I noticed on the C2 that I've never seen on the R2, is that the bed offset tool takes quite a long time to load after raising the bed, on the order of ~15 seconds.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The delay might be caused by the condition of the SDcard.

15. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

How long does it take for you to give access? I have posted my request

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Request for what? Which link?

This one? https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...JaHhVZW8?resourcekey=0-fBOIGqlfr8hPKXvK0xWmzA
    No request has been seen. Try again.

You have to click the link and then request access there. Posting here doesn't help get access. Google will forward the request to the drive account where it can be approved.

#36 mark tomlinson, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  17. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

Thanks the linked it worked. [Responded to DM as well] I also Have a Tech Support Request in at ID 164338.
    Here is what I reported there...

Formatted 8g SD Card in windows to be certain there was only 1 partition and was empty.
    Ran Win 32disk Imager 1.0 program.
    Selected f: [Only choice showing]
    Left all defaults [ Hash None, Read only Allocated Partition Unchecked
    Clicked [ Write ] button
    Process Completed with [ write successful] message
    Clicked [Verify only] Received [Verification Failed at Sector8192
    Old and New SD Cards Look the same in Windows File manager
    boot (f:)
    G: [reports that this drive needs to be formatted]
    Both SD cards will boot the printer to that screen that reports that it is ready to print but is unresponsive.
    Any Ideas on What I should do Next?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Almost no Robo folks are here so there is that (we are 99% or more all Robo owners/Users, but not employees).
    If you want to get help directly from them then your Tech Support ticket is the best route.

As for the SD card image... sounds like you did things correctly, but trying to read or verify that SD card once you write the image to it will fail because you are using Windows and the SD card is formatted for Unix (Linux actually -- Raspbian Linux). You can create the image from Windows, but not much else. Windows will not even see that the card is formatted (it doesn't know how to read Linux partitions unless you install other software).

The fact that two are booting means that the SD card image is (probably) OK. You might have a bad Raspberry Pi but if it boots all the way to that screen it is probably not the Raspberry Pi that is the problem, but the printer controller board that Robo used.

If you want to try swapping that board Partsbuilt has them: https://www.partsbuilt.com/mainboard-c2-robo-3d/

The R2 and C2 use the same board.

If you are under warranty (not likely, but still needs to be said) then get them to replace that board.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that sort of work see if you have a local MakerSpace -- a 3D printer person from there will likely be able to get you going.

19. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

Can you direct me to the process needed to try to talk to the printer by OCTOPRINT.
    I read somewhere in the forums that if the screen does not work you can talk to the printer over a wired network connection using OCTOPRINT. Does that process bypass the raspberry PI or just the screen. I might be able to get somewhere troubleshooting the problem that way. I assume that would determine if it was the mainboard or not.

Do you have experience using OCTOPRINT.? Do you know of any other Robo users in the San Diego area who might be able to help me? Are there any users who would be interested in this C2 for parts?

As for spending $120 plus shipping to maybe repair the C2 I would be more likely move up to a newer printer like the just released Flashforge Adventurer 5m at $400. I also have a Monoprice Voxel Pro which is a rebranded FF Adventurer 4 that I go on there liquidation sale for $250 delivered.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Use your browser to go to the IP address of your printer and you will get the OctoPrint interface.
    OctoPrint runs on the Pi so if the board is defective it will not be able to control the printer either, but if there is a problem with the LCD screen -- then OctoPrint will work fine.