1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Noisy Fan fix?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Nov 14, 2019.

1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I believe that the extruder's limit is 290°, and the bed is 110°. Set your limits a few degrees lower to allow for temperature fluctuations.

2. joea

joea Active Member

The solution to needing higher temps on the extruder would be to change it? What would be a solution if I wanted higher bed temp?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You would need to use an externally powered bed heater (like an 110v AC one) since the stock power supply really doesn't have enough extra wattage to drive a much larger heater.

As for the extruder, yea you would want to change it. The actual limit is less on the extruder itself and more on the temperature sensor. The thermistors are only good to about 290c above that you would want to use a thermocouple. You also will want a larger than stock (30w is stock so use a 40w) heater core to make sure it doesn't take forever to get to a stable temp.

I have used a thermocouple sensor (PT100) and an E3D v6 at over 300c (325c for one filament)

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The firmware will need to be edited to a higher number since it's preset at these values. 40 watt heaters have red wires, and 50 watt heaters have white wires (usually). The set screw on the power supply should be cranked up a little for these heaters to work at peak efficiency. My old power supply was struggling to maintain 12 volts. A good power supply could be cranked up to close to 15 volts. You have to take into consideration that the servos, fans, heated bed, leds, RAMPS, and Arduino require power too.