1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 3D printer not printing well

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vandel212, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Vandel212

Vandel212 New Member

I'm trying to torubleshoot an issue with my 3D printer (Robo 3D R1+). It cannot print vertical walls well any more. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

The walls are very inconsistent. To correct this issue, I've tried:
    • Changing the nozzle
    • Tightening the hotend (to remove wobble)
    • Dehydrating the filament
    • Using brand new (good quality) filament
    • Printing faster & slower
    • Printing hotter & cooler
    • Trying different slicers (cura & simplify 3d)
    • Putting on a belt tightener
    The 5 motor drivers are all new as well, but this was happening before I changed them. Any help is appreciated!

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

Have you assessed the two vertical Z thread rods, their couplers, and how the carriage is resting onto the Z on both sides? Maybe play around with giving it some g-code commands to move up the Z from O at the bed and see if it’s the same on both sides. Command it to move up and down the z axis. Perhaps at a particular height you find some slippage. Idk but this is just my thought to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzy10 and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Specifically:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/lines-on-the-side-of-print/

Good idea if it were worn and you were over extruding

As above, good idea.

This is not likely going to add value because "wet" filament will not cause this. Minor visal defects -- yes. This sort of thing? No. This is mechanical.

See above.

Good ideas since if it is due to a loose component significant speed changes could affect it and you would know. Minor speed changes are not likely to be helpful. Drop speed by at least 50% (or even as much as 75%) and see if there is any effect.

Solid -- Maybe. This does not look like it is printed too hot (not melty looking and not stringy). The chart lists it as a possibility and that is true in more extreme cases.

Excellent Idea, but probably not the cause.

This is the most effective thing you did. It is almost certainly either a slicer problem or a mechanical one. Go through the drive (belts, belt-cogs on motor shafts) and make sure the belts are tight and set screws on the cogs are tight.

#3 mark tomlinson, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. ozzy10

ozzy10 New Member

According to me, it sounds like you've covered many of the common causes of inconsistent vertical walls. However, here are a few additional things you might try:

1. Check the bed leveling: Make sure that your bed is level and properly calibrated. An uneven bed can cause the extruder to drag on one side and cause inconsistencies in the print.
    2. Check the extruder gears: Make sure that the gears on the extruder are not worn or stripped, as this can cause inconsistencies in the flow of filament.
    3. Check the retraction settings: Retraction settings in the slicer software can affect the consistency of the walls. Try adjusting the retraction distance and speed to see if that improves the wall quality.
    4. Check the endstop switches: Make sure that the endstop switches are properly configured and functioning. Endstop switches are used to determine the home position of the printer and if they are not properly configured, it can cause issues with the print quality.
    5. Check the firmware: Make sure that the firmware on your printer is up to date and that it is compatible with the slicer software you are using.