1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

r2 arduino source code

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Pearsley, Feb 4, 2020.

1. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

I'm going to have to install a new main board and am looking at zyltech boards. I have the arduino IDE and assume that the new hardware will required a new firmware with some configuration changes.
    I have the latest Marlin-bugfix-1.1.9 source code.
    Should I instead start with the last Robo 3d r2 source code. Does anyone have these source code files?
    The Robo website link is broken.
    thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Any questions on the Marlin 1.1.9 need to go in that thread. It is non-stock
    I'd start with the Zyltech board firmware (whatever it is and whatever version) and modify it to match the physical dimensions of the Robo, but you can approach it either way. Marlin will work.

3. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

I will start with that. I didn't know what the zyltech board comes with.
    I'm not sure how to modify the dimension in the Marlin system. Can you point to info on how to do that.
    Sorry about the miss post, I thought i was asking about an R2 issue.
    thanks

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It will be in the Configuration.h file, it will be obvious what the dimensions are. I haven't looked through the source in such a long time I can't actually tell you which line numbers they are, but the source is commented pretty well

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Moving this thread from the R1 section of the forum to the R2 section

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As far as I know the R2/C2 official versions of Marlin never got beyond 1.1.6 and that is over here:

https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin

Like @WheresWaldo mentioned the physical dimensions of the printer are in the Configuration.h

Look around line 885

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can probably migrate the dimensions from the Configuration.H used in 1.1.6 to the version you currently have (1.1.9?) and go from there.

Sadly one of my largest beefs with Marlin developers has always been consistency between versions and locating where to put the changes in the newer version of Marlin would be step1. Between 1.1.6 and 1.1.9 IT SHOULD be almost identical, hopefully it actually is.

8. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

So it does require changing the configuration file, recompileing and uploading the binary to the board? Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Correct and by "the board" we mean the Robo3D custom control board* -- not the Raspberry Pi :)

*which is really the equivalent of an Arduino Mega 2560 + RAMPS 1.4

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are savvy with the Pi you can install the Arduino IDE on the Pi and then VNC* to the Pi from a regular computer and use the Arduino IDE on the Pi (which is already plugged into the control board) to load the new firmware...

It does require that you be familiar with the Pi and how it works and connecting a temporary monitor* on there to use the Pi desktop/Arduino IDE (https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/karimmufte/install-arduino-ide-on-raspberry-pi-54e960) I have never seen a console version of the Arduino compiler for Linux so ... you would need to be able to use the desktop version.

*since the Arduino IDE requires the Pi desktop you need VNC. You may or may not need a temporary monitor to enable VNC -- raspiconfig will let you have VNC server run at boot so you can probably do that from the command line.

#10 mark tomlinson, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

What Arduino target would someone use for the R2 ( or C2 ) main board?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Arduino Mega 2560

Their board is a clone.

and I prefer to do all of that (ArduinoIDE) from the Raspberry Pi in the machine :) Simplest way.

Geof and tkoco like this.