1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Does Robo Sell the Internal Wiring?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cmead, Mar 20, 2020.

1. cmead

cmead New Member

I submitted a ticket a few days ago to support and haven't heard anything so I thought I'd ask here.

I haven't touched my printer for 3 months and I went to go use it again for a project it wasn't working and I opened it up and there was shredded tissue paper all inside the printer. A mouse made a home somehow. Still don't know how it got in there.

I cleaned out everything and found there are quite a few wires chewed up and I'm wanting to see if Robo sells replacement wires I can buy. At this point it would probably be easier for me to buy all the wires to just rewire the entire printer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I doubt they do sell that, but... if you have broken wires that you find you can splice them with a similar gauge wire. If there is enough of the original wire left you can just resplice the original wires back together without adding an extra bit to reach.

You would probably use appropriately sized butt splices. Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/ELECFUN-10-22AWG-Connectors-Insulated-Electrical/dp/B07G5W9PH1

There is a link there to a couple of standard crimping tools as well if you don't have one.

Nobody on here speaks for Robo -- just a user/community forum so you may want to reach out to them directly and see if they have that wiring harness. I just have never heard of them offering that and out of warranty PartsBuilt.com supplies their spare parts and I know they do not have the entire harness. They do have some of the wiring like the ribbon cable that connects the uptown/downtown boards so if that is what you need they have you covered. https://www.partsbuilt.com/c2-parts/

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I feel your pain as I, myself, have had to do similar repairs on other equipment. Funny thing is that the rodent won't chew power cabling, just signal cabling - almost like they can sense the bad mojo :)

4. cmead

cmead New Member

Thank you for your ideas. Unfortunately, a lot of the wires are chewed down to the point there is nothing left to connect. I've been to the site you mentioned as well and I really need just about every wire. The stupid mouse chewed everywhere. I have a project I need to print and I'm about to just go buy another 3d printer cause ROBO isn't getting back to me.

Is there support that slow?

5. cmead

cmead New Member

Yeah. They chewed almost every cable its a disaster. At this point I don't know if its easier to just buy another 3D printer...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your call. The wires are just point-to-point and easy enough to splice if you want. As long as you can tell where the wires were landed even splicing in a new segment to repair it is not a huge deal.

As for their support? Can't say. Probably depends on the type of issue and this one is ... a different case for sure :)

7. cmead

cmead New Member

For a couple, It might be able to but both ribbon cables are chewed so I need new on those. Robo just got back to me and I'm working with them now sending pics to show them the pics of the destruction. Thanks for all your help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I agree that dealing with chewed ribbon cable is a non-starter. The individual wires are one thing -- that is another. They are custom and while simple -- I would not want to suggest building your own.

tkoco likes this.
  9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.