1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is Filastruder worth backing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JDM_, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I'd probably do it if it wasn't $50 to ship to Canada. (plus dutys) D: That just puts it over the edge for me.

2. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I think it's $50 flat shipping anywhere.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I stand corrected. It's $50 outside the US only.

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I can order through Alibaba as well.... no room to stockpile, however.
    Dean

3 people like this.
  5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

@ around $1500 a metric ton (a little more than 2000lbs) that's around 75ยข a pound. Is my math right? Anybody want to split a ton of ABS? Split it 4-6 ways and that a good deal.
    :)

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Is that with shipping?

7. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

IDK. we would have to have 1d1 contact some sellers on Alibaba and get quotes. I'm just quoting a price I saw on there. Most of those sellers are in china and Hong Kong so they should negotiate. We can just tell then its a sample order....

8. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

From what I have read though something like 2lbs of colorant is more or less a "lifetime" supply. If you think of 1:100 ratios Plus, that is one metric ton of a single color correct? I would be interested in getting a good supply though and just have it on stock at all times, send out small batches (few ounces) to those in need as well.

if the company they teamed up with gets the colorants like they said they will (i saw in the comments them even mention glow in the dark) I have no issue going through them, just don't want to be SOL out of colors.

9. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

If we went in a large batch I was just thinking natural ABS. We could get color on our own.

10. Michael DiFilippo

Oh okay, you were talking about pellets, sorry thought we were talking about colorant!

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Curious what is going to be the primary filament type most users are going to be using. I for example have no idea I will probably be starting with ABS and then hopefully nylon have even thought about PLA yet not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Curious what you guys are planning on using the most and why?

Does it depend on the object you are printing?

My reason is that I paid for the ABS upgrade and want to use it but maybe that is the wrong reason maybe the others are easier to use or less expensive to mess up on while learning

12. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I plan on printing a lot of functional items so it will depend on what the item is. I'm just thinking that the Filastruder will make printing more affordable in the long run and ABS is a good medium where it comes to strength and flexibility. It is more difficult to print with though.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I will try and compile so pros and cons of the different types and maybe post it in its own comment when it is large enough

So we have
    ABS
    Pros: Strength, Flexibility
    Cons: Difficult to print with
    Everyday Example: Rainbird Sprinkler Housing

Any other thoughts or comments

14. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Comparing ABS and PLA

ABS = More Ductile (it bends more before it breaks), holds its shape better at temperature (I believe glass transition temperature and creep would be the terms to use), vapot polishing, solvent welding, bridges better during printing.

PLA = Stronger, but more brittle. Translucent color choices. Can build without a HBP (benefits from a warm HBP though), biodegradable (eventually). Natrual grade is actually used for medical implants, so it is very safe. Parts come out looking 'sharper'. Much lower shrinkage, so warpage and dimensional accuracy are better.

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ABS
    Pros: Ductile, holds its shape better, vapor polishing, solvent welding, better bridging

Cons: Difficult to print with

Everyday example: Rainbird Sprinkler housing

PLA
    Pros: Stronger than ABS, translucent colors, biodegradable, lower shrinkage, accuracy is better, safe, build without HPB, Parts look sharper

Cons: Brittle

Everyday Example: Some medical implants

Just compiling all of it together

2 people like this.
  16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Moving this over to the printing filaments section as they have two sub topics of PLA and ABS

3 people like this.
  17. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Just some thoughts on color mixing. I've had a bit of experience with it and it isn't as simple as it sounds. Yes, red+blue=purple but to get the sort of subtle shades that Mike was discussing is going to require a lot of experimentation and even then it will be problematic in all sorts of ways. Factories making vast batches of colors can get to a formula that yields fairly consistent results, but we small folks? I'm not so sure... However, if you are the person who invents the Home Depot type machine that adds a bit of this and and a splash of that to get to that perfect peachy-fuchsia with the scanner/computer doing the work, and if you can get the type of colorant purity needed for consistent results, you might have something.
    Dean

18. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I've backed the project as well. Thanks for linking to the project!

2 people like this.
  19. Michael DiFilippo

1D1 I am hoping that simply weighing out all the components will yield the wanted results. Will it be more time consuming and involve a bit of testing absolutely but I'm hopeful.

20. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

On a large scale yes, but this, I don't know, Considering the pellets aren't mixed till the very end, I wouldn't be surprised if the fillament comes out blotchy and some parts with out colour at all.