1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Update 2/6/14

Discussion in 'Official Documentation' started by Coby Robo 3D, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Woot! New firmware!

@SteveC, so which firmware would print a better matching enclosure for XXL LCD?

@tonycstech, can you please provide more details about the acceleration setting? and what is the reverse motion? Thanks!

2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Yes. I changed it to 500. I LOVE IT.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Denys,
    Use the new firmware posted at the top of this thread. You load the file Marlin2_4_14.ino into the Arduino downloader. See the FAQ. The only difference is that #define line.
    I did change the fourth parameter the extruder steps/unit value of 723.38 to be about 4% larger. I use a recessed hobbed bolt which makes the bolt diameter a bit smaller and the extruder extrude less. Mark T suggested this: I marked the filament with a sharpie at the top of the idler. manually extruded 80mm. Marked again. Pulled it out and measured. I was getting about 76.5mm instead of 80. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but my last PLA print a heart shaped vase for valentines came out really well.

2 people like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant Mike Kelly suggested the extruder calibration.

6. Denys Dmytriyenko

@SteveC, thanks for answering all my questions!

BTW, what is the optimal/max speed people run their printers at? In mm/s for perimeters and infills in Slic3r configuration, preferably... :)

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Denys, I will defer to others for most speed settings. I have them pretty slow and probably not optimal. I did find that for PLA prints with small area sections (layers that don't take much time) you need to pay close attention to filament cooling settings. Enable auto cooling and set the min print speed as low as you can stand. For ABS you have to be careful with the fan though.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Denys, Yes the new X&Y settings will make the enclosure holes match the LCD much better. They were pretty far off with the old settings.

2 people like this.
  9. Denys Dmytriyenko

SteveC, thanks! that's good news, I'll try to flash the new firmware as soon as possible...

10. KESSLOLO

KESSLOLO New Member

Hello, I would like to know if there is any risk for printer to change the firmware to use full graphic XXL LCD screen?

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

By risk to the printer do you mean: "can downloading modified firmware brick the Arduino controller?" No - it would be very difficult to brick the Arduino. If there is a mistake in the firmware you can just download the original version. My understanding is that only some contrived code download could make it difficult, but not impossible to communicate with the Arduino.

12. im1badmf

im1badmf New Member

Hi, received my printer last week. Would it have the latest firmware pre-installed?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Unlikely. Unless something has changed all the board shipped to china for assembly were shipped in August so won't have Marlin on them.

14. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Is this to be expected?

"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x68"

upload.jpg

15. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Looks like your board is set for an ATmega 1280. Should be set for an Arduino Mega 2560.

Also, make sure you have the correct COM port selected.

16. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Ah, that did it. Man I feel stupid, I've uploaded Arduino code plenty of times.

17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Thor, I tried your patch with the E3D hot end and it works great. One way to test it is to clamp a crescent wrench around the heating block. The temperature/thermistor resistance drops so fast that it triggers the error message and kills the heater.

Nice Job, Thanks!

18. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

I notice that with the new firmware, it doesn't seem to retract as well. Does that have anything to do with the acceleration setting talked about above?

19. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Do you mean the new firmware posted today or the one at this link?

The one posted today does not seem to change the retraction rate at all. It only changes the XYZE printing moves. I'm not sure what DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION does but it did not change. I had at Tonycstech suggestions been using 500 for DEFAULT_ACCELERATION. I will try it tonight.

So from 3/14/14 from 2/6/14:

No Change:
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

Changes from 3000:
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo

No Change:
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Also this changed from 20:
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 17.0 // (mm/sec)