1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

moving backwards. need to start over.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Slotnick, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Jeffrey Slotnick

Jeffrey Slotnick New Member

Here is what happened. I had ordered a new original screen and received it. I hooked up the original screen after testing that it worked - aka it turned on & was touch responsive. However after re-installing the housing, the screen still turns on, but is no longer touch responsive. I have seen this post, and tried the steps detailed but they didn't seem to help (https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000722512-Screen-goes-unresponsive-or-doesn-t-work)

Please assist so that I can take some steps to move closer to printing again. Thanks.

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@tkoco
    @Geof

One thing to check is that nothing else is touching the screen. Sometimes the housing that covers it will actually touch the screen when you remove/install it and that screen will only respond to a single-touch. Try removing it from the housing and test it.

3. Jeffrey Slotnick

Hi Mark,
    Thank you so much for the idea to try. I did give that a go, but still no responsiveness on the LCD.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a backup of your SD card image for the Pi (and you really should) then reburn that onto a new SD card and boot from it to see if that fixes it. While nothing you did should have changed it, you may just be missing the driver on the Pi.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like something is pushing on the screen.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Might be a mechanical stress issue. If the housing is somehow warped, tightening the screws too much could apply a warp to the touch screen. Please keep in mind that the warp could be so slight as to not be visible to the naked eye. Try loosening the housing screws a tad - like 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn.
    When you mount the housing to the cover, again, make the mounting screws snug enough to hold the housing, but not any tighter.

8. Jeffrey Slotnick

Hi Mark - unfortunately I hadn't backed up my sd card yet before issue appeared. I ended up downloading an R2 image from here called: r2_sd_card_image_06022017.img and attempting to use that.

Geof - as far as something pushing on the screen. The screen is currently not within the housing (see picture).

tkoco - I'm first trying to get the touch working again, and then going to install into the housing. Thanks guys - really appreciate the assistance as I'm dead in the H2O right now...

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

That R2 software image is too old. Any software image from 2017 is too old. Read the R2 FAQ for a link to a current RoboOS image for the R2.

10. Jeffrey Slotnick

Hi tkoco, I'm now using the following image : R2-generic-image.img . Unfortunately the same results - no touch response :-(

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Double check the centering of the ribbon cable at the touch screen. There is the possibility that the connector is not properly connected. The touch screen signals come through the ribbon cable.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good catch and I don't see that in his picture although it could just be hiding behind the screen :)

13. Jeffrey Slotnick

tkoco / Mark. From what I can tell the image doesn't show up without the ribbon cable attached. I've tried many times to carefully attach the ribbon cable - but just not getting any touch :-(

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want to try another touch screen...
    Not sure on the driver part, but if you are using an known working R2 image (I do not have an R2 to test with) you should be OK on that side.

16. Jeffrey Slotnick

Mark - if the driver isn't getting loaded then I think a new screen would have the same issue, right ? I don't mind buying another screen, but I already tried this - with the direct replacement. The image I'm using is the one you recommended in the R2 FAQ. Does anyone have a verified working image I can borrow ?

17. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Let me confirm this situation. If the LCD screen is free floating ( not mounted into the cover ) and cabled up to the Raspberry PI, then it works as intended. However, if you mount it into the cover, the touch function stops working. Do I understand it correctly?

18. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The recommended image in the R2 FAQ has already been verified by other members of this forum.

19. Jeffrey Slotnick

tkoco - really appreciate the suggestions. The screen is non-responsive to touch no matter where it is now. Originally it was responsive (different\older image though), however now I cannot get either of my two screens to do more than display images - I.E no touch.

20. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Do you have a spare Raspberry PI 3 ? It is possible that the GPIO bus on the Raspberry Pi is faulty.

While the Raspberry Pi is rugged, it is not bullet-proof.

#20 tkoco, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020