1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PID calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tkoco, Sep 15, 2019.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

In both of the C2 & R2 printers, there is a PID wizard for calibrating the feedback loop of the Marlin firmware. This wizard should be ran 4 - 6 times in a row. Why?

The values are best guesstimates for loop control of the hot-end temperature. As such, they can be too loose for controlling the temperature. You need to write down the finishing values for each pass. The best set of control values will be the point where all 3 of the values have a minimal difference from the previous calibration. Example with a new hot-end:

PID Initial: 26.34, 1.93, 90.1
    1st Pass: 25.08, 2.22, 70.88; Difference of 1.22 & 0.29 & -19.22
    2nd Pass: 24.99, 2.09, 74.72: Difference of 0.07 & 0.13 & 3.84
    3rd Pass: 23.03, 1.93, 68.86: Difference of 1.96 & 0.16 & 5.9
    4th Pass: 23.26, 1.89, 71.46 (Final pass) Difference of -0.2 & 0.04 & -2.6

Each value P, I, D influence the other two values, so you need to find the point where the values don't change by much ( as shown in the above example ).

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Update:

I would like to modify the above procedure by stating that if the PID factors are too tight, you might run into a control error during a long print job. So, I recommend that you run the PID wizard a couple of times in a row, but no more than that.

3. Paul Pangrazzi

Paul Pangrazzi New Member

Hm. I don't have a PID Tuning Wizard on my R2.
    I'm running 2.0.0-r2.6. Anyone know why it doesn't appear?

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Did you make a backup copy of your RoboOS? Sounds like your current copy of RoboOS might be corrupted

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

SDcards are not bullet-proof and it is very possible the SDcard could be failing on you.

6. Paul Pangrazzi

Ok, I'll reinstall the SD card software again from the image at: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/need-an-image-of-the-r2s-microsd-card.18831/
    I did this yesterday, and then used the LCD to update RoboOS to 2.0.0. I'll pay more attention to the before and after screens this time.

FWIW: I tried using the original 8GB card the R2 shipped with, but it was too small (by 105MB) so I'm using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra (again) with Balena Etcher on a PC. Hope I have better luck this round.

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Updating the RoboOS via the LCD screen ( Utilities -> Update ) or via SSH into RoboOS is detrimental to RoboOS and can cause all sorts of problems.

8. Paul Pangrazzi

Wow! Ok then. Good to know. What is the proper method for updating RoboOS from the 1.50 image to 2.0.0-r26?

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Get a copy of the 2.0.0-r26 from the forum. Please read the R2 FAQ. It has a section on how to properly check & update the Software & Firmware

Paul Pangrazzi likes this.
  10. Paul Pangrazzi

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Problem is fixed. :)

12. Paul Pangrazzi

It is indeed! Thank you for the big assist... I've grabbed the image and already made copies on dedicated SD card backups.

- Now on to replacing my borked R2 board with an aftermarket Arduino all-in-one and new stepper drivers. (Board will not heat hotend past 165C and reports the heated bed at 40C cold.)

Waiting for last pieces to arrive... wish me luck.

mark tomlinson and tkoco like this.
  13. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

It's 6 months since the problem was posted. Did everything work out for you?