1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Cannot release hotend

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 4sfaloth, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is certainly a good first step and if that sorts it you are finished :)
    If not then you need to replace the thermistor. You don't need to disassembled the entire hotend for that, just loosen the setscrew on the heater block that holds the thermistor in place and replace the thermistor -- https://www.partsbuilt.com/r1-thermistor-robo-3d/

2. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Thanks @mark tomlinson , I'll do that.
    Just to make sure I'm not messing things up (the picture on the link you sent me kinda confused me :\), the thermistor is the flimsier wire right? (the one encircled in green on the picture below, as opposed to the one encircled in orange)

hotend_wires.jpeg

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is the thermistor.

On the R1 it will be just as your picture and is stuck into a small hole on the hotend heater block and there is a plastic/rubber boot that wraps around the heater block to hold it in place.

On the R1+ it is inside a small metal canister that is held in the heater block with a setscrew,

If you have the R1 and have lost the boot, you can use kapton tape to wrap around the heater block to hold it in place.

Orange is the heater core.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

no luck at all :\

I couldn't remove it with the hotend mounted, so I released it. I was still unable to unscrew the screw completely (visually it still looks exactly the same), but I must have the done something because it came off. Now I am unable to secure it back in :(
    I just can't turn the screw either way; sometimes it does feel like the thermistor might be secure, but it comes off with just a bit of force. It is supposed to stay perfectly secured, right?

In the meantime I am pretty sure I broke the cable by pushing too hard against the hotend (it bent like 90 in the green area...) but I get I'll figure that out once it's secure.
    IMG_20200420_184138 - Copy.jpg

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well there is a simple solution.
    If the thermistor will go in, but the screws will not tighten on it -- use kapton tape to wrap the heaterbock and hold everything in place.
    That is a special high-temp tape and it will work fine. You only need a couple of wraps to hold it.

You do it the way this picture shows although really you only need a couple of wraps around the block. Not quite as much as they show

e3d-v6-bowden-hotend-assembly-for-3mm-filament.jpg

#26 mark tomlinson, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  7. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Alright, I had actually already ordered some Kapton tape so I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the help
    I'm resolving this thread since I won't be able to try that out for a few weeks, and also because it's way offs the original post. Thanks for all the help!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have issues, open a new thread and we will handle it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.