1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament not loading

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BJS227, May 14, 2020.

1. BJS227

BJS227 Member

This will not let me upload a video. But when i tried install some new pla the motor jerks back and forth like its trying to move in one direction but cant. This tells me the stepper motor needs replacing. Has anyone had this happen and is my solution the correct one to pursue. The pathway for the PLA is clear so that not the issue. thank you!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It could be the stepper motor or it could be the stepper driver.
    Sadly, on the R2, the stepper drivers are integrated into the control board and are not individually replaceable.
    You would need to replace the entire board. I would suggest trying to swap the stepper, but if that does not sort it then it is the control board. Either the one under the printer bed or one of the routing boards up by the extruder (uptown or downtown boards).

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might reach out to @Lance Weston as he has worked with PartsBuilt.com to get a replacement board going that is effectively the same as the R1 series... Arduino/'RAMPS. That would be worth looking into if the entire control board needs to be replaced. Then future work would be easier and cheaper.

4. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

It can be one of a few things, but the least likely is the stepper. More likely the cable has a busted wire. I would buzz the cable out down to the board The cable running from the head to the board flexes a lot. The heat shrink tubing slides up and the cable is no longer stiff enough to prevent the flexing from breaking the cable. I would get a replacement cable from partsbuilt.com first to see if it solves your problem. If that solves your problem, then print the clip I posted that keeps the cable stiff. If not the the stepper driver is bad. I posted a way to fix it in mods and upgrades. You have to grind off the the stepper driver chip (carefully) the use a 4 pin jumper cable from E1 to to E0. Lastly you install my hex file that uses E1 to drive the extruder rather than E0. This is a lot easier than it sounds if you have a dremel.

BJS227 likes this.
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Things to check:
    1) make sure the filament is truly round and not elliptical. Measure several point on a 2 foot piece of filament using a digital micrometer. At each point, re-measure the diameter at the same point by turning the micrometer 90 degrees from the original orientation. The difference should be within the manufacturer's specification. Alternately, you can try a different spool of PLA from a different manufacturer.
    2) if you can get it, use a piece of piano wire 0.015 inches in diameter (0.381 mm). With the extruder being cool, see if you can pass the wire from the nozzle tip to the top of the extruder. You will be checking for a blocked path. A blocked path will act just like you have described.

While stepper motors and their driver circuits are not perfect, they are fairly rugged. Last thing to check is the temperature of the Extruder stepper motor. If the motor is very hot, it can act just like you describe. A mod to cool the stepper motor was posted here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/r2-extruder-mod.23518/

If all things check good, then the suggestions by @mark tomlinson and @Lance Weston would be a good option.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. BJS227

BJS227 Member

Thank you Lance, i inspected the cable and found a small break on one side so looks like I'm changing a ribbon cable! I looked on partsbuild.com and cant find a main ribbon under the R2 area there there is one under the C2 area. I know these printer are alike and it looks to be correct but is the length you think long enough? Here a link https://www.partsbuilt.com/cable-ribbon-mainboard-extruder-c2-robo/

Where did you post the link to the "clip cable stiffener."

Thank you!

7. Lance Weston

Clip
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/clip-for-hotend-cable.23824/

Email Jonah@Partsbuilt.com. He can answer cable Questions, he was able to supply me with R2 cables. He is really helpful and a good guy.

If your break is right near the connector you can remove the connector from the cable with patience and a jewelers screw driver. Then cut off a full inch of the cable and using channel lock pliers carefully press the connector back on to the cable. Take pictures first to keep the same orientation. Slide the heat shrink tubing back down to the connector and install the clip. Both of my R2's failed right at the connector. I ordered replacement cables from Partsbuit.com, but I also repaired the original ones. My clip holds the cable where it is stiff and reduces the flexing at the connector.

8. Lance Weston

This is the cable you need:
    https://www.partsbuilt.com/extruder-wiring-harness-r2-robo/

9. Lance Weston

This is the cable end you need if you can not take it off clean. Cutting the cable requires an xacto or a really stiff sharp pair of scissors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-2-54...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The R2 cable link posted by @Lance Weston is the correct cable. The extruder cable has more than the obvious flat ribbon cable ( 2 extra cables in the same covering ). Plus the length of the cable differs between the C2 and R2 printers ( R2 is taller )

#10 tkoco, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. BJS227

BJS227 Member

Got it running again, thanks guys!

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.