1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed tries to move farther than it can

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jake Ciasca, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

The bed of my printer seems to be trying to move farther than it can move and I'm not sure if I have to change the g-code or settings in the printer but it's like it is skipping. Here is a link to a video of it.
    The skipping occurs at 0:30

#1 Jake Ciasca, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It could be the printer is not homing correctly. HOME is the only position the printer "knows" because it has sensors (switches). The far ends of each axis (X/Y/Z) are all math (calculated).

So if home is not correct this can happen. Make sure home is going all the way home on the Y axis (that is the one you hear grinding).

Make sure the Y axis belt is not slipping.
    Make sure the Y axis drive cog on the end of the stepper that moves the Y axis belt (under the bed -- lift the bed to check) is not slipping on the stepper shaft -- it has one or two set screws that hold it in place. If those get loose the belt can slip on the shaft a bit.

3. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Could it be that in the firmware
    Could it be that in the firmware I might've set what the actual bed length is longer than the bed itself and it try's to move the extra distance and in order to fix this I would have to change the firmware?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could be -- of course any problem could be :) But the firmware is the least likely place to be the problem unless you have changed it at some point.

If the belt is slipping or skipping your firmware may be fine so make sure you check that the belt or the drive cog is NOT the problem (those are much easier to fix as well).

This details the various ways to fix it if the belt is not slipping and you think it is a firmware problem:

https://reprap.org/wiki/Configuring_Marlin_Bed_Dimensions

You would need to use the dimensions for the Robo (I assume an R1/R1+):

x: 228 mm
    y: 254 mm
    z: 200 mm

5. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Okay so it doesn't look like the bed/belt is skipping so what could this possibly be then, could it be the y-steps are not calibrated or something like that, I'm just throwing ideas out because I am stumped.

6. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Oh I fixed the problem, it was the heated bed ribbon cable that was sticking out a tad bit on the bottom and was a slight amount so it couldn't bend/move anymore and I moved the ribbon cable so it wasn't on that ribbon cable bender thing and it fixed the problem

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, they used to have a plastic clip that helped retain those out of each others way, but those usually fell off in shipping.