1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 - Print head runs into the bed during bed height checks pre print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ely Cannon, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member

All of a sudden my Robo r2 is not able to make it past the 3rd bed height check point it does before starting a print up. It makes it through the first front left corner check it does the second one in the front middle of the bed then it moves to third position and just raises the bed far beyond the height it has just done for the last to checks and jams the print head into the bed which then outputs a printer has lost connection error on both the printer screen and in Cura- I am printing with OctaPrint. I have no idea what is wrong, how it happened or how to fix it. Please help! I am about to just buy another printer from a different manufacturer given the parts support from ROBO. But I have loved this printer so if it can be saved I want to obviously.

The same thing happens when I print direct from the printers internal memory, or from thumb drive.

I have made zero changes to the printer that would have caused a failure like this.
    I have re leveled the bed and recalibrated the z height multiple times already. Restarted everything multiple times. Just not having any luck.

#1 Ely Cannon, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is likely the IR sensor that detects the bed misbehaving.
    One thing you can do is to turn off the auto leveling and see if it will actually try to print.

Edit the startup GCode for OctoPrint and put a semicolon in front of the line that has the G29;

Then try it and see if it will try to print and if so, how far off level is it.

3. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member

G29 Doesn't appear in my gcode. My assumption is that it would be in the settings in octoprint console in the - gcode scripts - "before print job starts"

; set to millimeters
    G21
    ; set to absolute mode
    G90
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    ;non blocking heatup of extruder and bed
    M104 S230
    M140 S60
    ; Robo Leveling
    G36
    ; pause for 2 seconds
    G4 S2
    ; move bed down 15mm
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; move to front left corner
    G1 X10 Y1 F7200
    ; heat to priming line temp
    M109 S230
    M140 S60
    ; move bed to printing position
    G1 Z0.3
    ; print 190mm priming line
    G1 X190 E15.0 F500
    ; move bed down
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; set movement speed
    G1 F7200

4. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member

I have commented out the G36 command and it seems to have done the same thing you described and it s printing. Is it necessary to replace the IR sensor for normal operation if I am not using the auto leveling at the beginning of a print?

; Robo Leveling
    ;G36

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

How good is the print bed surface? (Buildtak). If the surface is gouged or dirty, that could throw off the IR sensor. Or it could be the sensor is going bad as suggested by @mark tomlinson

BTW, leave the G36 code commented out. Add a homing code, G28, right after the commented G36 code.
    Then the hot-end will get positioned to the same location at the start of every print - which in turn helps you get more consistent prints.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member

It has a new buildtak surface on it, but I do need a new bed once they are available from the parts supplier as the original surface is not in the best shape. However the bed is not any different from the day before yesterday when the printer was working fine, so I think the failed IR sensor guess is a good one.

Seems that the parts company is working on a new solution for the heated printer bed and will have replacements available at some point but not at this time. I have my email in the list for updates on that.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try cleaning the IR sensor lens and see if that helps. It might just be partially blocked by a bit of debris.

8. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member

If I did replace the sensor is this the part? Sold out now at partsbuilt but I will put myself on the wait list if this is correct-
    I will try cleaning the lens first of course, thank you for the suggestion.

Bed IR Sensor - R2/C2 | Robo 3D
    SKU:R2C2-BED-IR

Description:
    R2/C2 Bed Sensor
    Bed sensor for auto bed leveling on the R2 and C2

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Correct. That is the one

10. Ely Cannon

Ely Cannon New Member