1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

connection issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BJS227, Dec 2, 2020.

1. BJS227

BJS227 Member

Having trouble with a "connection interrupted"
    When using the fine tune offset wizard the extruder goes through its 9 leveling steps with the bed raised. Then extruder retreats to the back right of the machine (everything normal to this point) waiting for the bed to heat that's when this message appears. Any idea what's happening and how to fix it? Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

What release of firmware and software are you using? ( http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/r2-faq.23706/ )

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. BJS227

BJS227 Member

we are using Cura 2.5.0. Where do I find the firmware number? The file we are printing we have printed many times in the past. We also use octoprint to control the printer. LMK what you think.

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The R2 FAQ has explicit instructions to help you determine your software and firmware levels. As far as Cura goes, I recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of Cura. You can find the link in this thread: ( http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/the-master-thread-concerning-cura.23863/ )

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. BJS227

BJS227 Member

The file printing I've printed many times before. So that leads me to think I have a hardware issue vs software. Anyway
    Cura:
    Cura is 2.5

Firmware:
    In the firmware updater menus of Octoprint I click the check for updates. Next it says connecting to printer, retrieving current firmware version and then i get this message. see pic

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sanity check the versions as mentioned, but if that is not the cause then there may be one of a couple of hardware issues.
    The error is from dropped communications between the raspberry pi and the printer control board. This is why the version of the firmware on the control board matters as well as the version of the software on the Pi (the RoboOS if you like).

However, it could be a bad USB cable/connection or a fault on the control board itself.

If nothing else pans out to be the problem then that is the approach to take.

7. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Here is a link to the latest code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9G3DqEJBj6Ij6g693GBRFivEWTn7be-/view?usp=sharing

Take the file: Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.4_R2.hex

Put on a usb drive, plug into R2, then goto files and run it. It will install the latest code. You will have to recalibrate the PID extruder and bed. This will make sure you have the latest on the system board. If the problem is on the Pi you need to download the latest Pi image and burn onto a 16mb SD card.

8. BJS227

BJS227 Member

OK firmware has been updated without any issue! The an issue but with a different reason is popin up as description in entry #1. check out pic.

description from entry #1:
    When using the fine tune offset wizard the extruder goes through its 9 leveling steps with the bed raised. Then extruder retreats to the back right of the machine (everything normal to this point) waiting for the bed to heat that's when this message appears. Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

check out the pic. I'm guessing the cable to the table or the table has an issue, maybe. any thoughts? thanks you!

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Like I said :)

That error generally happens when the Raspberry Pi loses connection to the control board (it get interrupted for some reason) but that one is specific to the heated bed and can mean that the pogo pins (if you have an original R2, the pogo pins were replace in later versions) are not making good connection and it can't turn on the bed heater. This is the part I mean: https://www.partsbuilt.com/robo-r2-pogo-adapter-print-bed

You can (if you are able to do minor electrical / soldering) wire around those. Basically you just eliminate the pogo pins entirely.

You can also ping PartsBuilt and see if they know when that part will be back in stock.

10. Lance Weston

Your bed is not heating or not heating fast enough. Try doing a PID tuning directly after the fail. If that fails see if you can heat the bed manually from the display. If you can I will look up how to tune the bed with a lower temperature. If you can not I would suspect the connectors.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Pogo pins have springs inside to make them a firm connection and if the springs get weak or die then they will loose connection.

12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

As @Lance Weston suggest, try heating the bed manually from the touch panel. 40 C is ok ( warm enough to the touch without hurting you )
    Try logging into Octoprint to monitor the bed temperature.

13. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The last firmware version officially released is Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex

14. Lance Weston

The version I supplied was given to me by Jason on the last day he worked at Robo and was represented as Robo's last release. Does anyone one have the code for Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2. It would be interesting to find the differences.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. Lance Weston

Thanks for the link, looked all over for it. The 1.2.6 release has a 1.2.4 hex. I will spend some trying to sort this out.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and that pretty well demonstrates Robo's software development efforts...
    Not quite there, a pop fly to the infield :)

tkoco likes this.
  18. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The listed 1.2.4 hex file has a bug in it. The listed 1.2.6 has the fix incorporated. I tested both of them on my R2.

19. Lance Weston

20. Lance Weston

I see that the 1.2.6 was released 6 months after the file I have been sharing. I have so many modifications and variations for different machines that I would like to narrow it down to the files changed. Knowing the bug would help.