1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to backup your RoboOS µSD card

Discussion in 'Software' started by WheresWaldo, Mar 19, 2018.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Always good to have a back up of your stuff, the printer OS is no exception. Here is an outline of how to backup your RoboOS µSD card onto your PC. The backup can be easily stored and can replace a corrupted card or placed on a replacement card (same size or larger).

This guide is Windows based, if someone with an OSX based PC can do one for the Mac, please feel free to add to this thread.

Matt Zarkos, MChrisP1 and Geof like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Software required:

Hardware required:

USB SD card reader or built in card reader
    Appropriate adapters if not trans flash slot (µSD)​

How it's done:
    1. Shut down the Robo R2/C2 open the bottom panel and remove the SD card inserted into the Raspberry Pi. Insert the SD card into your card reader installed on your computer.
    2. Start up Win32DiskImager.
    3. In the "Image File" box, enter the path for your backed up image file. For example, I put mine in D:\My Documents\My Projects\rPi Images\roboOS_2.0.img
    4. Under the "Device" box, select the drive letter assigned to your SD card reader. Please note that the rPi disk will have two drives assigned one labeled boot and the second with no label. Make sure your select the drive letter associated with the boot partition.
    5. Click the "Read" button to create the image file from your card.
    6. When it's done creating the image file, you can eject your SD card and put it back in the Raspberry Pi inside your Robo printer. Keep that IMG file in a safe place
    Win32DiskImager.png

#2 WheresWaldo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Matt Zarkos and Geof like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Bonus Information:

The newest version of RoboOS (2.0) disabled ssh. You can re-enable it simply by navigating to the drive that is labeled boot and creating a file called ssh or ssh.txt in the root directory. The file can be empty or contain any information you want, the rPi doesn't actually read the contents of the file. Upon the next boot up ssh will now be enabled.

#3 WheresWaldo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

If you have access to a linux box you can then use the PiShrink script to reduce the image to about 3GB (if you've cleaned your card of timelapses and other stuff before doing the backup) so that it takes less space and to avoid the common problem of not being able to restore the image on another card of the "same size" as the original becasue it might have just a few bytes less. Then you can zip that and save another 60%, down to 1.2GB or so.

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  5. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Ok I've got a problem. I'm trying to create a disk image for my R2 and I follow the directions exactly as described. The problem is my image file is almost 63 GB in size, and it is not recognized by Win32DiskImager, so I can't write it onto a new SD card. The file extension when it is done is not .img, it just says File next to it in windows explorer. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Any thoughts?

p.s. I leavew the drop-down menu under "Hash" at "None". I think this is correct.

7. adikted2astro

I actually figured out how to correct it. Believe it or not, I had to add the extension (.img) onto the file name in order for it to save properly, even tough that extension should automatically be added.

EDIT: However, the size of the file is still 63GB. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I use an SD card of the same size or larger in the future.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The image size may not be the same size as the SD card (in terms of capacity) it generally represents the amount of size needed to actually store the used sectors. I am amused that yours is showing up at such an odd-ball size though ...

9. adikted2astro

I am too. It looks like it's using the entire SD card. The exact disk image size is 62,367,744 KB.

What's even more odd is that there is still 54GB free space on it according to octoprint.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah, it may be a RAW copy where it ignores the content and just copies all readable sectors from the SD card.

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a good example of that here:

tkoco likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Updates to video:
    • Current Virtualbox version is 6.0, not 5.1.18
    • Linux Mint is currently version 19.2, not 18.1

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to backup the entire SD card, not the files visible on the filesystem.
    Win32DiskImager on Windows or Balena Etcher will do the trick. you then create an image file on the computer that is a mirror of the Sd card format. That image file is NOT readable by the operating system -- just one file that is the backup of the entire card.

16. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Here are links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11wuRWC03_CPH7DVVotdWWHQP7iOtsbPY/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6Y_jwGPM3XeRI1E-sb3Y2swW8ra8D9U/view?usp=sharing

There are two files, one is the disk imager and the other is an editor. If you wish to use the same file on multiple machines you need different name on each machine. Make an image then with the editor find and replace the existing network name with a different name with the exact same length. Burn the new image and you now have a new network name.