1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Beta? printer build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by feralsteph, Feb 12, 2021.

1. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Hi all! I've been scouring these forums for information so I can try and get my 3D printer up and running and producing decent prints (if at all possible!)
    I got the printer off my uncle who I believe got it off the kickstarter years ago. I've had it for a few years and put it away as we had trouble with it and life got in the way. I've recently pulled it back out and got it going again and it was running alright but we had some big shifting issues.
    We just bought an Ender 3 V2 that will hopefully be here in the next week, so I want to take the time to see if I can get the Robo 3D up and running well, because two printers are better than one right?!
    However I don't want to spend too much money on this, but willing to put a bit of time (not that I have an awful lot as it is) into fixing it.

I think it's a beta version though I am having trouble getting some information about it. I am currently pulling it apart and checking everything is tightened and secure and I'm about to put it back together. While I do that, is there anything that would be a good place to start?
    Is it even worth spending the time/effort to get this going?

#1 feralsteph, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have two that are still cranking out prints since the 2013 kickstarter.
    They are simple machines and use cheap commodity parts.
    You can (for example) replace all of the electronics for <$30 (arduino mega, ramps, stepper drivers) and the steppers are <$10 each (and there are 4).
    Linear bearings (LM8UU) for the rails and carriages are dirt cheap as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Eau-Linear-Bearings-Length-Printer/dp/B07TV46356

If it is a beta (post pictures somewhere and a link to them) then it doesn't have automatic bed leveling, but for an hours work and <$10 you can add ABL and turn it into an Actual R1 :)

3. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Thanks Mark! The legend himself (I've seen a lot of your replies and you seem to know A LOT!)

I'd link some pictures but i'm not yet allowed to it seems!

Thanks for that. If you have any link reccomendations for parts it'd be appreciated. Not sure what there is now as some of the stuff on the forums are a few years old now.
    plus auto bed leveling would be amazing becasue I suck at getting it level!

4. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Any chance you know how to change the rails on the y axis from ball bearing style drawer runners to linear bearings and rods?

5. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Today I reassembled the printer and everything seems to work so I have a bit more confidence in making modifications to it.
    Will try a print on it tomorrow and see how it goes.
    I'm making a list of all the mods I can make and now I have a bit more of an idea the forums makle more sense.
    I have now found the information to convert the rails/bed over, found some good mods for the fan and cable magaement so will be doing that as soon as I have something to print them on.

fingers crossed this works out!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here are the parts you need (some printable, the rest you buy)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:386602

As with my other examples the parts (linear rails for example) can largely be bought at Amazon or anywhere :) I have done this very conversion on one of my beta units, the other one has the Robo supplied Y axis bed upgrade they sold for a short time. Same exact thing really.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#7 mark tomlinson, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  8. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Appreciate it.
    Tested the printer out and after a few wiring mishaps (mixed the fan and the extruder heater!) got it all sorted.
    We added a fan to blow onto the board/motor to stop it from getting too hot to eliminate that as an issue.
    Did a test print and it went down well.
    Then started a benchy and got about 10mm in before it shifted in the +Y axis by about 4mm. :rolleyes:
    Any ideas as to what could be casuing this as so far any research i've found isn't pointign to anythigbn obvious. We've changed drivers but not motors, though it seems to be shifting over multiple axis' (X and Y) so not sure how to go about working that one out yet.
    Also the curves on the bow on the benchy. The extruder seemed to be slowing right down and juttering/shuddering to get around them then speeding back up to normal speeeds for the straights and sharp corners.

At this stage looking to create a list of parts to replace in the board with the drivers and motors as well as what I need to get the bed rails changed over. Plus looking into more diagnosis.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Layer shifts are mechanical (something got caught in the way or something slipped/skipped) or electrical (weak drive surrent from a stepper driver).
    Steps 1 is to make sure the belts are tight, snug and can't slip or skip (all of the motor cogs that drive the belt are secure and the allen screws are tight).
    Step 2 is to make sure the steppers have enough drive current (tune the stepper driver cards or replace them).

4mm is enough of a skip that one of the notches on the belt drive could have slipped .,.

10. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Thought that may be the case. Part of why I pulled it apart and reassembled it. Made sure everything was tight and secure.
    Belts are tensioned up. Set screws are done. As much routing to avoid snagging as possible.

As for the driver's we swapped a few around so hopefully it's not that.
    We printed some feet up for the printer as we'd raised it on some cans so we could get a fan underneath it to try and cool the components to reduce that. My partner set up a bigger fan and attempted to make a shroud out of paper. Whatever happened produced a good print.
    Stuck to the bed well, no shifting and that was with 2 filament changes in it.
    Will look at cooling options a bit more and see if that makes much difference.

Photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/QNUD71d

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are ducted fan covers on thingiverse you can print that help to make the parts fan air flow a bit more directional.
    Just make sure you match the fan cover to the style of fan and hotend :)

feralsteph likes this.
  12. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

I have been hard at work printing (on the new Ender 3 v2) new parts for the ROBO. I'll try load photos later.
    So far I have the new bed holders printed. Still waiting for some funds to buy the rods and bearings. Just printed up some z rod stabilizers.
    Planning on doing some cable management and fan shrouds next.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is what mine looks like after cleaning it up :)

612wiH-VKGL._SL1000_.jpg

14. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

It has been a while! But I'm currently sitting by the printer while it looks like it's running it's first successful print since the upgrades! I'm very excited.

Still needs a lot of work but I'm stoked that I managed to make changes and it still runs.

Now to try get it running as good as the Ender...

15. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Of course I spoke too soon. But I got a fair bit I to it before it failed, and it failed cos the part moved.

I'm running no heated bed ATM due to some issues.

Still pretty happy with how it went.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Glad to hear it is printing.
    You may need to lower the Z offset just a tiny amount to get more "squish" on the first layer or use some adhesion 'helpers' like hairspray, glue stick or even some of the professional products like the products from Airwolf: https://airwolf3d.com/product/wolfbite-prevents-3d-printed-parts-from-warping/

I have tested their products and they do pretty much what they claim.

feralsteph likes this.
  17. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Thanks. I had another go and put some glue down and made sure to squish the first layer a bit more and I got a whole print out of it.

Not perfect but pretty happy with it. It has obvious horizontal lines so will need to work on that.

18. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Thanks for the link.
    Honestly not 100% sure what one it is. Definitely not an R1+. Not sure enough differences between the beta and R1 to know.

I think it's a beta because I think it was gotten through the Kickstarter.