1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Help! Can't get good print with new extruder!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Donald Durm III, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Donald Durm III

Donald Durm III New Member

I have a robo r1 + printer and recently replaced the extruder with an e3d V6. Before I was dealing with too many jammed filiment issues. The first couple of layers prints just fine, but afterwards the prints gets all messed up. I've included pictures of the prints. So far I've tried to lower the speed, decrease the extruder temp to 200 c, and replace the filament. No improvement. :( Hoping the community can give me some ideas on the what else to try.

The last picture is a print from before I replaced the extruder.

Thank you so much and look forward to listening to the communities ideas!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1) Is the fan on the side of the E3D running full speed all of the time? Not the parts fan, the extruder fan on the finned section.
    2) Is this an actual E3D v6 or one of the Chinese versions?
    3) Try seasoning the nozzle (we have an entire thread on this if you need help with that) that is 15 minutes worth of effort to try it

Geof likes this.
  3. Donald Durm III

Donald Durm III New Member

Thank you for the reply! I'm printing a test cube right now and it looks really nice so far! I'm going to try to print a couple of other things and then mark this one as solved. Here is what I did:
    1) Seasoned the nozzle.
    2) Cleaned the bolt that feed in the filament.
    3) This was a huge one: When I heated up the nozzle to 210 C it wiggled around the heating block. I thought I had tightened it while is was hot before, but maybe my wrench was slipping without me knowing it. Anyways - I tightened it one more time and no more wiggling. :)

Original Questions:
    1) The fan on the extruder is running constantly. It seems to be sucking air away from the extruder and blowing it away.
    2) I got it from printedsolid.com. So I don't think it is a Chinese Version. :)
    3) I Seasoned the nozzle.

Update on Print:
    It failed, but in a way I think I can fix. There is warping on the bottom, so I'll try again with more hairspray. Also I think my offset may be too far away. I had it at 1.2mm.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The fan is fine blowing either direction, but if it were not running you would get in trouble quick :)
    PrintedSolid is selling you authentic stuff -- no worries there but I had to ask because I have gone in circles before by assuming :)

Usually the offset when set with the M565 should be around a 1mm (some a bit less and some a bit more) all of mine are between 0.6x and 0.9x

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

When you replaced the extruder, did you reuse the old nozzle or use a new nozzle which came with the extruder? Are both nozzles 0.4MM? Which slicer are you using? Is the slicer configured to use a 0.4MM nozzle or a different size? Are both nozzles brass or a different material?