1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Matter Control V2x Windows Version?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Aug 9, 2021.

1. joea

joea Active Member

MC v2 claims Windows 10 is minimum. On a whim I installed it on Windows 7 .

Rather than overwrite v 1.5, I installed it in a different location and the installer did not complain.

Running however produced a fatal error almost immediately. I'd not ask here, but the MC forum has produced no answers to anything I posted there. The only thing I found suggests a printer profile is missing, but no clues as to how to actually create one from scratch.

[​IMG]

2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Uninstall 2.0 then reinstall it as a fresh install. It looks like you set it up as an upgrade to transfer your profiles. In 1.5, you have two ways to export settings. One is the MatterControl export, and the other is a Slic3r export. 2.0 doesn't have support for Cura or Slic3r anymore so only use the Mattercontrol configuration profile This will back up your present profiles. In 2.0, select import, then choose those profiles as your source. It will import your profiles into your settings. Another important thing to do is to choose a printer in your settings. There is a profile for the Robo 3D R1 so you don't have to create a custom printer profile.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. joea

joea Active Member

Installed as a "clean" install, I guess by selecting a non default folder to install in. It did not provide a choice for upgrade or clean, it just ran. When the program is launched the first thing I see is the MC window and the message I posted earlier.

Just now reinstalled with the same results. No questions asked, no objections raised, it just installed, then asked two questions, "install desktop icon" and "launch program now"?

Perhaps the results would be different if I installed over 1.5, but I do not want to end up with nothing working.

Did not find an "export" in 1.5 except for EEPROM settings. Is that what you meant?

I would have thought someone at MC would have responded to my posts there by now. I just bought some filament and a nozzle from MH. Gives me pause.

4. BrooklynBay

Click settings then click options. You will see import & export options.

5. joea

joea Active Member

Thanks. Then installed 2.x over 1.5 and got the same results. Then uninstalled it, installed 1.5 and it "remembered" the print queue contents and installed printer, without doing anything else, such as explicit import of the previously exported setting (to an different location).

Well, 1.5 works OK, so I guess there is that. Rather than install Windows 10, I may setup another PC with Linux and install 2.x on that. I've been wanting a dedicated print and design PC for a while anyway. FreeCad has a Linux version, so . . ..

#5 joea, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2021
  6. BrooklynBay

I use a dedicated Windows 7 computer for 3D printing, and have Matter Control versions 1.7.5 & 2.0 installed. I prefer 1.7.5 over 2.0. I would suggest installing 1.7.5.

A few years ago I tried Matter Hacker's dedicated Android tablet as a stand alone controller, but the dedicated Windows computer was a better option.

7. joea

joea Active Member

Where can I find 1.75?

8. BrooklynBay

I downloaded it from their website. Let me know if you can't find it. It might be possible to attach it to a post.

9. BrooklynBay

10. joea

joea Active Member

I cannot find it on their site. The link provided looked promising at first, but I now suspect it may be tampered with.

11. BrooklynBay

12. joea

joea Active Member

I just dug up a PC my youngest son abandoned as "too slow" for his gaming. I'd forgotten all about it after using it to recover a VMware host I was using. I dug it out to install Linux on it, when it reminded me it has Windows 10 on it. Well then, a "two fer". Now I have a dual boot unit I can use for much sophisticated play time.

FreeCad and MC 2.xx installed and seem to work fine. I'll test the Robo on it when my heart rate slows. Don't want to get over excited and start hyperventilating or anything you know . . .