1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Question about PETG

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Lance Weston, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I am printing with petg that has a temp range of 230C to 250C. I am printing at 240C. The parts printed solid plastic are large mechanical parts, To get the printing to not drop large blobs of plastic I had to go down to 85% flow. That flow rate gives nice smooth layers. I still get slight stringing.

The same parts printed with PLA I use 100% flow.

Is this normal? Am I missing something?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The stringing is absolutely normal (with PETg). Usually you drop the temperature to reduce stringing, but some types of filament (like nylon) string if they are printed too cold. I can't remember if that is true for PET/PETG or not. I just so seldom used it...worth experimenting with.

3. Lance Weston

my main concern is the 85% flow rate. Has anyone else done this?

4. Jerome Helbert

I'm pretty sure PETG falls into that category, I've usually found less blobbing/stringing with higher temps

I've always needed a 92-93% flow rate for PETG. I've read that pretty common for most people, although 85% does a seem a bit much, but if it works then I wouldn't be too worried.

5. Lance Weston

Dikale PETG printed just like PLA with a temp of 225C, no stringing or globbing.. I found a cheapie PETG, Unido, that printed perfectly at 240C and 85%flow.

But Sunlu PETG I am unable to print at any temp or flow rate.

6. Jerome Helbert

I wonder what the dimensionality of the Unido is, maybe it's just << 1.75mm.

I've also found a few reels of PETG that are garbage, it ultimately comes down to what else is blended in. I had a roll of rainbow PETG that I could get to print well, but had zero layer adhesion, even if I cranked the temps up to 270. PETG normally has crazy interlayer adhesion, so it was super surprising. Nothing I did could get prints made from them stuff to have any reasonable levels of strength, every setting I tried ended up in a part that delaminated with ease.

PETG is normally my goto for anything I am printing that I want to have decent strength without being brittle, also helps with temperature tolerances. I've found you tend to get what you pay for, but have had reasonable luck with Hatchbox (years ago), Amazon Basics, and eSun (this is the brand I have been using most recently and it does great)