1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Top Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SC_MudDuck, Nov 19, 2021.

1. SC_MudDuck

SC_MudDuck New Member

I will say I hate with a passion the top enclosure. It is cumbersome to work around at times and I lose 20-30 mm of build volume. Does anyone else share my displeasure? Has anyone seen anyone getting rid of it or replacing it with something else? Maybe modding it? Looking for ideas or suggestions

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Other than providing a minimal amount of rigid support to the tops of the z-rods, the cover seems mostly cosmetic. One could create a triangulated set of braces to cup the tops of the rods and extend to the base, curving the supports as desired to recover the lost volume.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't even run them with the cover on.

4. SC_MudDuck

SC_MudDuck New Member

How do you compensate for Z wobble? Do you have a pic posted that I check out? I'm still running factory Z setup...

5. SC_MudDuck

SC_MudDuck New Member

The only loss volume is in the Z. Been searching the thingiverse, but haven't seen any solutions yet. I like your description, but need to do a little designing it seems.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Are you sure that Z wobble is even going to have any effect? Have you tested it?

If you have an R1 I'd agree that is possible, but the beta and the R1+ may not have that issue.
    Give it a try :)