1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

2.85 mm conversion for R1+ ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by fred3d, May 30, 2022.

1. fred3d

fred3d Member

Many moons ago, I upgraded an R1+ to the E3Dv6 hot end. A pretty straight-forward project with a successful result.

I have too much 2.85 mm to ditch the one printer that uses it, but I'd like to have an affordable direct-drive extruder that uses that size of filament.

My searches have been fruitless in finding anyone who has converted an R1+ to use the larger filament. It seems that with all the carriage print options and drive mechanism options and E3Dv6 hot ends of that size, one could feed 2.85 mm filament in this machine.

Has anyone seen such a project on the 'net?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. fred3d

fred3d Member

Thanks for the link. It appears to be a parts list for someone who desires to change from a bowden tube extruder to a direct drive extruder and vice versa. It doesn't appear to have any relevance to converting a Robo3D R1+ from 1.75 mm to 2.85 mm feed capability, which is my goal.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Read the whole thing :)

"Converting between 1.75mm and 3mm
    To change between filament sizes is also easy, you will need to replace the following components:
    1. 1x Heatsink - see above for links and info.
    2. 1x Heat break
      - for 1.75mm http://e3d-online.com/E3D-HotEnd-Heat-Break-1.75mm
      - for 1.75mm http://e3d-online.com/E3D-HotEnd-Heat-Break
    3. 1x Nozzle
      - See our spare-nozzles section http://e3d-online.com/Extra-Nozzles.... fan duct, heater block, thermistor, etc...."

Of course the new parts have to be the E3D 3mm versions...

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The links are outdated too, but essentially you need to replace the 3 parts:
    • Heatsink
    • heat break
    • nozzles

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You will also need to make the hole from the hobbed bolt into the extruder 3mm as well (drill will work)

7. fred3d

fred3d Member

I may be mistaken, but aren't there also user-printable carriage assemblies? This would allow one to leave a carriage assembly intact, duplicated for the 2.85 mm filament. It would be great to be able to flip the printer back to 1.75 mm once the stock of fat stuff is exhausted.

I was hoping for a near-turnkey web site to make this an easy build.

I was given a link by MatterHackers for a conversion of a Prusa MK2 (or maybe MK3) from 1.75 mm filament to 2.85 mm filament, but it's gone stagnant from 2015, I believe, and the creator hasn't responded to my queries last month. That would be an ideal situation, as the not-turnkey link involved a swappable carriage assembly.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are likely going need to put one together.
    You can print all of the parts for the GregsWade extruder carriage that the R1 uses. Then any modifications to that would be swappable. You would swap the top section of the extruder and the hotend.