1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Y-axis shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Oct 2, 2022.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Seems prints are shifting in the Y axis. Looks like it loses some steps prints a few layers, then loses about the same number of steps in the other direction. Please see attached photo. Bottom is the bed side.

20221002_150023 (Medium).jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check the Y belt and the linear bearings on the bed rails. Loose belt will cause it to skip and cause problems.
    Sticky bearings will do the same so lubricate or replace them.

Try gently moving the bed full range by hand (that is the Y axis) and see if you notice any sticky or restrictive points,

3. joea

joea Active Member

After loosening the Y belt tension, a lot, I ran another print that got all most all the way through without any shift. Unfortunately, it came loose of the bed before completion.

Since it was late, I put another print off and will make another attempt. Expect it should be fine.

On another note, I was also experiencing stringing but was already at the low end of temp for that filament. When I looked into the setting for minimum distance to trigger retraction, it was 200mm, almost 8 inches? Seemed a bit much, so set it to 30mm. No stringing, but it seemed to take almost 2 seconds to retract, and 2 seconds to extrude at each non printing move. Adds a lot to printing time over hundreds of layers. I guess I can look at some associated settings, probably retract distance, speed and longer minimum moves.

mark tomlinson likes this.