1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Viki Housing

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Harry, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Guys. So I had an idea, I know the Robo is a desk printer. It cannot easily have holes cut in it to make the Viki fit in it, so I was thinking maybe we can all come together and make a little "Desk 3D Printing Kit" so to speak. It would have a Viki stand, then also a SD Card Slot holder (For SD Cards not in use), and then a spot for some basic tools that are handy when 3D Printing. What do you guys think? Anyone want to help with this? Just something open source, that I can then go post on Thingiverse for the world to use! Let me know if anyone is great at CAD and interested in helping. If you need a file of the Viki, here is the download URL:
    http://files.panucatt.com/datasheets/viki_lcd_step.zip

Please let me know if interested!

2. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Are you thinking about making the cabinet an enclosed heat chamber or just a base to set the printer on? I think it would be great to design a 2 part cabinet. A base that will hold viki and tools then have a top piece that will enclose it and create a heated chamber.

This way if a person doesn't want to enclose it they don't have to. I think viki comes with a SD card reader. I need to look at mine to make sure.

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I am making a heat chamber. I'm actually making an entire cabinet system. Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]
    You can't see it on this, but on the right side I will have a Fan, with a Plexi-Glass removable cover to fan it out the heat when removed or keep the heat in. Then, On the back left corner I have a power socket. I'm going to also be able to have a heat sealed slot to run a cable though, and plan on putting my Viki, and it's housing above the chamber on that little shelf if you can see. I'll be building this next week and already have the wood cut, so can't make any major changes. What do you think?

I think though, it would be amazing and even though it would not benefit me, to design a 2 part cabinet for the community like you said. Then also a small desk thing like what I need. What do you think?

4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you have there. I see a shelves on the right... and a rolling cabinet on the left. Where is the printer going to go? The bottom of the rolling cabinet?

5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

On the cabinets on the right, do you see the upper right, the clear tinted blue area? THat is representing the plexi-glass door to the cabinet

6. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

I would think the printer is going where he has the plexi?

7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

:D I see now.. It's just hard to visualize the scale of the cabinet. I't looked Like a small area up there but I guess it's bigger than I thought.

Looks good to me... I think you should add a fan to circulate the air inside the chamber if you have room. That will prevent hot spots that could damage the printers plastic parts.

We need to recruit someone to write code to automatically control temp by turning on/off exhaust fan. I'm thinking RoBo's board will an extra I/O for that. Harry could you ask Team RoBo if there is an extra I/O?

Is this an indoor piece? if so how do you plan to deal with fumes?
    I will be curious how quiet the printer will be inside the cabinet... Heck I'm curious how quiet the printer is period....

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey JDM, I said above I will have a fan on the upper right corner, you just can't see it in this model. On the wall (This is in my garage, we have an extra parking spot) there is a ventilation window right their actually. So another fan on the outside blowing air through the ventilation window and I'm set. We also can open the garage. Thoughts?

10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I'll ask the team about the I/O.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good does anyone know the full dimensional capability of all the axis' Z is pretty much controlled and I am not sure how they orient it but do either x or y printing dimensions got outside of the roboshell

12. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Looks good Harry... I also am putting it in the garage and have a window to vent it out. I am also wondering how far the X&Y axis will move outside the body of RoBo. That is important info for building the chamber. Harry could you ask the team about that?

13. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

... forgot to mention I looked and Viki has a microSD slot on the front.

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I let them know about this thread already. They're going to get back to us ASAP.

2 people like this.
  15. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

30" in the front and the back to be safe for the y axis bed to move all the way forward and all the way back.

16. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

30" total front to back? correct?

17. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Here is a VIKI spacer mount I just made using the VIKI CAD file. It is 15mm deep to allow room for connection plugs. I have a STEP file to post but "somebody" has a file size upload restriction set... lol

Attached Files:

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

jdm something isn't right with that file. look at how it comes out. pic below

Attached Files:

19. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

That's weird. Let me take a look at it and see if I can fix it. Looks like the invisible components showed up.

20. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

do you have the stl of the spacer. that's really all thats needed.