1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

$50/license, I'd risk it. $125, not so much.

2 people like this.
  3. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I purchased it this week. At 250,000 baud, it won't connect to the Robo3D but when I changed the settings in the Marlin Firmware to 115,200, it connected fine.

I tried their bed leveling routine first. It requires manual adjustment. All it does is move the head to various locations.

In terms of printing controls, it's intense. More options than Cura, Kisslicer, Slic3r. More control and more model management (corrections, manipulation).

I took their stock settings (and turned off the heated bed profile) and printed one of these:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:298955

At quick speeds, 3600mm/m, it cranked out the piece in about 21 minutes - about the same as with Cura/Matter Control.

I would put this app into the highly advanced category. The UX is interesting - they really try moving slicing and machine control into separate functions.

Is it worth $140? For me? Yep because I want to be an advanced printer who has lots of geeky options. For someone who simply wants to print, I believe that's the reason why Robo3D is bundling Matter Control.

4. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

One last thing - I think their tool paths that they generate are really efficient. I didn't observe any crazy head moves.

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Hey john, thanks for the info.

I have a Makergear M2 on the way. Their website recommends this software. I was going to try it out also. Post to follow.

6. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Interesting choice! I would like an all-metal Rostock but I'm going to have to build my own...

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I bought it at work. I definitely like a lot of their features but the first thing that's bothered me is that the raft really doesn't come unstuck from the part. Need to spend some more time on it though.

8. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Tell Clayton to add more control over the raft. They can do that. Me, I find that I rarely need them - thank goodness!

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Took it for a spin today ourselves. Really nice. Like John we ran it at the default speeds (which were way faster than we had been printing) it printed a test/calibration object pretty flawlessly.

Lots of options, definitely a more advanced UI. I like it.

4 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, the real test... supports. This HAS NEVER worked for me (not worth a damn) in Repetier, Cura (it made bricks) or Kisslicer. So this is what we printed (a ball in mid-air--clearly needing support):

Then It. Peeled. Right. Off.
    PICT0727.JPG PICT0726.JPG
    Never going back. This is the bomb.

11. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Happy for you! :)

12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I've contacted them about Bed Leveling. They have a bed leveling wizard; however, since the "level your bed" part is not achievable with the latest printers, it's kind of difficult.

13. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

At $140 and no demo, nope, no thanks, try again.

14. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I understand what you are saying. I understand that they will refund you if you don't like it.

As time goes on, I believe that there will be more paid applications like this. Riding the open source / free / paid model is a tough one in our business. I've tried all three with varying success. It's hard.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

IMHO, worth every penny (although cheaper would be better). Everything just works with this. Supports work flawlessly (and are actually easy to remove).

I went back and tried problematic models and they have all (so far) worked without any tweaking. I spent way too much time fighting with the software and models after getting the printer sorted.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is what I mean, I would NEVER have gotten this to work (at least not been able to remove the supports) with the other software. These would have not been removable or just not printed correctly. I have not had any luck fine tuning them, with this I did not need to. Default settings just worked. Not only did they just peel off, you can not tell they were there.

Attached Files:

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I was printing some long pieces on the rep2x and it warped on the ends the first time so I decided to try a raft. Impossible to remove, but seems to have mitigated the warping. I'll look into asking them.

18. Ryan Ridings

Ryan Ridings New Member

I have read on the reprap forums that if you contact them they may send you a limited trial....It may be worth a contact if interested.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The rafts are a bit tough to remove, but they were for me with other software as well. I am still working on tweaking the first few layers settings to avoid using the raft. The amount of control you have over the printing is what makes this sweet. You an have different settings per model or per layer ranges.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, weird. I fixed it to not need a raft for everything. The bed level was still just a tiny bit off (a turn of the screw too high on one corner, and a turn low on another--not a huge offset). Which was enough to cause issues with this software on the first layer in spots. (to be specific: it was not wanting to stick in some spots, but was fine in others) This was with tesseracts killer bed levelers of course :)

Other programs were not giving me issues, but that may be related to the speed. I let this one jump it to 3600 mm/min (the default) where as with Slic3r and Cura we were using really slow speeds (50mm/sec or less).
    It seems happy as a clam now. The first layer (and the others) now goes down fine without the raft.

Odd that the raft would have prevented that from being an issue, but I guess I can see that.