1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Update 2/6/14

Discussion in 'Official Documentation' started by Coby Robo 3D, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

For the Thermistor fallout check my E3D hotend temp regularly swings by 5c so when I tried the code change my first two jobs failed. I ended up disabling the check in the firmware for now, and might try allowing a larger swing than the default 5c it's currently allowing. I don't know if this is specific to my E3D, or if others see the same thing, but just as an FYI the code change ended up not working out for me as is. {shrug}

I dropped my acceleration and massively upped my print speed and am now getting prints completed in 2-3 X my prior print speed! :D I didn't drop to 500. That seemed way too drastic so I dropped down to 1500 (and 4500 for the 9000 settings) and the printer is printing faster now, isn't as noisy, and doesn't vibrate around on the desk anymore either. Wo0tz! :D

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Is there a stock Robo 3d printer firmware? It seems everything here is concerning LCD displays and ed3 hot end updates for firmware.

I am looking for the stock Robo firmware. It doesn't seem to be in the FAQ - I am worried that the issues I am having could be due to installing a firmware that is for other stuff and it might be causing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

The firmware posted by Coby "IS" the stock Robo 3D firmware. If you want an older version than what is posted you may have to ask them if they still have a copy lying around somewhere.

Also, the enabling of the LCD just allows you the option to plug in an LCD display if you want. It is a setting in the config file that doesn't affect or hinder USB communication to a PC.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Peter,
    It always in this area http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?forums/official-documentation.14/. The current is the 3/14/14/ version. Even if you don't have the LCD and use the LCD enabled version it will work just fine. You should update if you never have because some important XYZ stepper calibrations constants changed in one of the previous revisions. This last revision changes some of the acceleration constants.

The only thing you want to avoid is using someone's thermistor settings that are set for a non-stock thermistor like for the E3D hot end. If you look in the latest configuration.h file and search for "//robo" you will see the values Robo3D changed for our printer.

5. Audun

Audun New Member

Hi,
    I´m so lucky to be the owner of a new Robo 3D with auto leveling bed function, and I accidentally attached my Full grapichs screen to it and updatet the software. And now the auto leveling function isn't working anymore, I suppose I changed my original software who had the auto leveling function already integrated with the one in this thread who doesn't support it?
    Is there an software update coming to the full grapichs card with auto leveling function for the Robo 3D? Or is it possible to roll back to my original software somehow?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I believe matter control will prompt you to update. Is this not happening?

PM me if you're unable to get it working.

7. Audun

Audun New Member

Matter control is not prompting an update, and the Robo 3D has no clue what to do with the Z axe and the new switches for the auto lvling function.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's a major revision to the firmware. I have a copy I can get you to revert back to how you got it

9. Audun

Audun New Member

O, that would be wonderful :D

10. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

What's matter control, BTW? :)

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's a computer side control software like repetier. Unlike repetier it's more user friendly and can integrate in other slicers. It uses either Cura or Slic3r.

That said it's less customizable, and has no dual extruder support. Though it is open source.

2 people like this.
  12. Denys Dmytriyenko

Is that what's now being recommended/supplied by RoBo3D?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes. It's suggested for beginners as it's more friendly. Even finding home in repetier is confusing for a first time user (I couldn't figure it out).

Really being open source use whatever suits your fancy. One isn't necessarily better than the other.

14. Denys Dmytriyenko

Since you mentioned it should prompt you to update the firmware - is it customized specifically for RoBo3D?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes it is. They have a download link on the r3d main page if you want to look into it.

It should have a firmware plugin but it doesn't seem to be working.

2 people like this.
  16. rbrock

rbrock Member

I'm using Auto_Level_6_10 firmware, do I need to use this Marlin 2_4_14 firmware to make the LCD (Full Graphic Smart LCD Controller) work?

What is the difference between these two firmware?

Thanks.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This firmware is for the older BETA, not the R1.

18. rbrock

rbrock Member

So just use the auto_level firmware and un-comment the fields for the LCD display? Thanks

P.S. is that you on the bike? What bike is that? I have a gsxr600 for track days :)

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

LOL, that is me and my track bike-- A GSXR-600 :)

I run CCS and track days (in all fairness I have not had much time or money for competition lately).

Yea, you just modify the files for the LCD in the firmware version that matches your printer.

#59 mark tomlinson, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    2 people like this.