1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

I went ahead and purchased this today as I was not happy with the quality of some models out of repetier or MC. For me it's definitely slices better then anything else I have tried. One thing though that I can't figure out. After hitting the prepare to print and the gcode is generated etc. It won't let me print over USB? Anyone else having this issue? Also disappointing out of all the printers they have pre-configured settings for, robo is not one of them.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you run the configuration wizard to configure the printer or did you manually set it up?
    What model printer is it configured for?

In the machine control panel make sure the com port and baud rate are set and that you can connect (click the big red connect button).

Once the printer is powered up, connected and the model is sliced the print over USB button is active on mine.

3. bret4

bret4 New Member

I've been thinking of getting Simplify 3d. One simple question. Does it have a save gcode to SD card button like Cura or is it a little more round about to save gcode to an SD card for printing without a USB cable?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a large SAVE TOOLPATHS TO DISK button and you can pick where to save it.
    Assuming you can read/write the SD card where this is installed I see no reason this would not save the gcode there.

5. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

I've run into this issue as well on my windows desktop, but a work around is saving to SD-Card (g-code file), then from the 3d printer control panel open the gcode (click the print button and browse to said g-code) file from there. I'm thinking its related to the order of when the printer is connected to the computer before the software is launched.

Question, has anyone found a way of speeding up the first layer Raft's? For whatever reason my desktop loses connection/disconnects/reconnects (like its having a seizure) from the printer when its printing at slow speeds...

6. bret4

bret4 New Member

Sounds simple enough. Another thing I wonder are updates free and is the lisense only good on one PC? Being that it is a little expensive it would be nice if I could run it on my laptop and my desktop pc's without having to buy a lisense for two computers. Not trying to steal any software. I'd only be able to run one computer at a time.

7. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

I've installed it on both my Windows Desktop and Macbook pro (As long as your the owner you should be able to install it on however many machines you own, but that's my personal opinion).

8. bret4

bret4 New Member

At least it can be installed on more than one PC at a time. Like I said, I would be the only one using it for hobby use only. I do not mind a small fee for a second lisense if needed, but I'm not going to pay $140 for more than one machine when it's just a hobby.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, you can install it on more than one.

[I don't think they should care unless you wanted to use both copies at once, but some software vendors do. They don't say, so I would ask them if you really want to know]

10. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

I was able to print via usb today so all good.

2 people like this.
  11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

FYI.......there's a limit to how many times simplify 3d will allow you to install their software. I think its 2 or three. I tried to do this couple days ago. it wouldn't let me install it on my 3rd computer.. if you try to install it past the limit...you have to deactivate the software on one before you can install it on another...

12. bret4

bret4 New Member

I purchased it today. Seems to be really nice. Funny they say what printers it is compatible with (Robo 3d being one of them) but the Robo3d is not on the list of profiles in the software. Not a really big deal. Your going to make your own changes as you learn. Would be nice if it did give Robo 3d starting settings like some other printers.

That said, does anyone have basic Robo 3d settings? I'm already printing ok with my settings I put in. Just wondering.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You mean like bed size or do you mean printer type?

There isn't a ton of pre-configured settings (even for the ones they have).

14. bret4

bret4 New Member

I would guess that with the profiles for the other machines they must adjust some of the printer type settings to better match the Robo. Do you just adjust things until it works or do you start with a similar machine. Something that moves the bed and head like the robo?

15. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

If it helps I just selected "other" on the profile list then manually put in the bed size etc. I think that's all that is really required. Really liking this software though. Supports and rafts are actually a pleasure to work with now!

2 people like this.
  16. bret4

bret4 New Member

That is what I did too. I like the layout of all the controls in this software. For me it just makes it easy to make changes.

17. Enrico

Enrico New Member

i mark if you possible send the configuration file xxx.FFF you simplify3d in robo.. tx

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just relocated the machine, but I have it up and running again. Let me look and see if I can find a config file. I do not recall seeing one created anywhere. I assumed it used the registry.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not see a configuration file created for this software.