1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cheap Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harry, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey All, for people in Middle/High School, or College, or if you're a teacher you can get software at this site for extreme discounts: http://www.creationengine.com
    They are partnered and official resellers of all software they sell.

2 people like this.
  2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

thanks for the info Harry!

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Just for info: I have created a bunch of designs in TinkerCad. The free version only allows you to work on one design at a time, but I do my design, export it to .stl and then save it on my computer for printing at a later date. The problem with this is that once exported, it is finished. You can't re-import it to Tinkercad and modify the individual parts that make up the whole. You can import an .stl and modify the whole object, but you can't change any of the pieces that comprise the whole. Right now, all of my designs are untested. Should I want to change any parameters, I will have to rebuild the whole thing. The Big Advantage to this is that I have been learning how to use TinkerCad pretty efficiently so even if I have to completely redo a design it won't be a huge deal. It is getting me to think in 3D and though it is not an ultra-sophisticated program, it has enabled me to take my ideas and produce theoretically printable files. Next, I shall have to download Repetier-host and see if I can in fact translate, slice and set up printable g-code.
    And by then, I hope to have a printer ready to make my stuff.
    Dean

4. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I went ahead and downloaded a trial of Sketchup Pro after watching the five-part tutorial on YouTube. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I managed to make a fully-furnished, complete house with an attached garage in a few hours.

3 people like this.
  5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Agreed! They have some amazing documentation!

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Hi guys,
    I just tried out Repetier-host/slic3r and it is pretty straightforward even for a noob like me. What is more interesting to me is that all of my personal designs to date can be implemented. Yay. They load, they slice, they're ready to go. The longest conversion to gcode was 5.5 minutes for a large, somewhat complex model. The other cool thing was that .stl files are both quick to load and easy to see. I have been checking my files on autodesk 123 but it is slow and clunky. Now I can quickly and efficiently see where I am between creation and printer. Very cool!

7. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

I have posted several times on Kickstarter about Animation Master (for Win and MAC)

www.hash.com

The program allows you to export STL files from their modeler screen.